1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK Long Covid Clinics

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Dolphin, May 24, 2021.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2022
  2. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Louie41, ukxmrv, Snow Leopard and 6 others like this.
  4. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Herald article alt text says: "A private healthcare group is offering Long Covid patients free rehabiliatory support after a pilot led to positive results."

Concerningly, Nuffield Health do seem to be aiming this specifically at those with Long Covid, and not just for post-hospital rehab.
    They even mention PEM in this video:

Here are more details about the service evaluation: https://www.isrctn.com/ISRCTN14707226

At least the exclusion criteria include "diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome", but I doubt they are actively excluding people on that basis if they mention PEM as one of the symptoms that may be present in those they are trying to treat. :(

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    Louie41, Michelle, Snowdrop and 8 others like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it clear why they are offering this free?
    Have they run out of business during the lockdown I wonder?

6. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Post copied from the Long Covid in the media thread

New service launched to help Wigan patients suffering from long Covid
    Expert health professionals are joining forces to launch a new service for help Wigan patients recover from the lasting effects of coronavirus.

Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust (GMMH) has created the Post-Covid Syndrome Service (PCSS) for people suffering from long Covid.

It brings together a multi-disciplinary team to help people improve their physical and psychological well-being, as well as daily functioning.
    Dr Dale Huey, consultant clinical psychologist and strategic lead for primary care psychological therapies at GMMH, said: “Post-Covid syndrome, sometimes referred to as long Covid, describes signs or symptoms that have persisted beyond 12 weeks after an infection consistent with Covid-19, where no alternative explanation has been found.

Service user Rifkah Cohen said: “Covid-19 has left me with longer lasting symptoms including brain fog, breathlessness, migraines and severe fatigue. The more I try to push through the exhaustion, the more I crash and the less I achieve. It's not surprising that I get frustrated, anxious and sad at times.

“Hearing about the new post-Covid syndrome service gave me hope. I think it's really important to be proactive in managing your physical health, but it can be really tiring when living with the effects of Covid-19.

“I signed up for support because it's refreshing to be able to take time for myself, to work with a therapist, taking stock and thinking about what I need to do next to support myself. I’m really looking forward to working on my recovery with the service.”
    My Bolding

A few seconds on google searching for "Service user" Rifkah Cohen brings up

Linkedin
    Rifkah Cohen
    IAPT High Intensity Therapist (CBT) at Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust
    Manchester Area, United Kingdom

So their "Service user" is actually an employee of the very organisation advertising this service.

Very dishonest.

https://www.wigantoday.net/health/n...an-patients-suffering-from-long-covid-3718723

ETA: I've emailed the reporter pointing this out and asking her to contact them to explain their behaviour.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2022
    Wyva, MEMarge, Amw66 and 3 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They literally don't want any feedback, don't want to hear from patients, don't want to know anything that doesn't conform with what they're taught. After getting some criticism, from either form or substance, they simply locked comments. Ivory tower mutual admiration societies limited only to what happens in the towers.

When people making decisions from others are immune from the outcomes they create, well, this is why things are so broken in healthcare.

This is what I mean sometimes by supply-side medicine: by physicians, for physicians (and psychologists, somehow).

https://twitter.com/user/status/1540248938380410880

8. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved post
    On Twitter, an offer not to be refused- ????? for the private sector rehabilitation services...!

htI have been made aware of a #LongCovid exercise programme at @lifeleisureUKwhere@NHSStockportCCG patients are being sent.

My contact was not screened for #PESE. The programme progresses from chair yoga to- wait for this- HIIT

https://lifeleisure.net/health-wellbeing/long-covid/ 1/ntps://www.lifeleisure.net/health-wellbeing/long-covid/

AND....
    As part of our Long COVID service, we are working alongside the Stockport NHS Foundation Trust to deliver a new programme called “Golf on Referral”.
    This is a 12 week programme that consists of two sessions a week, split into one PARiS led exercise and educational session for up to an hour, as well as up to an hour’s Golf session.
    The exercise will be low intensity, alongside nutritional and mental well-being advice and the Golf will consist of learning and participating in the basics of the sport, with the first four weeks of Golf at one of our Life Leisure sites and the remaining duration of the programme at Hazel Grove Golf Club.

And, below the following 'evidence based" green shiny poster.....

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2022
    alktipping, Ali, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  9. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:banghead::grumpy::banghead:

alktipping, shak8 and Hutan like this.
  10. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It's quite a clever development. If the government doesn't have enough money to fund all three of health, the arts, and sport, then just combine them.

Fund the opera to do breathing training, and the golf courses to deliver, well, whatever golf is supposed to do for Long Covid. Every dollar can be double-counted! It's no worse than GET and CBT as far as the patient is concerned, and at least the money goes partly to deserving causes. Less money for the Phil Parkers of the world, more money for green upkeep.

alktipping, shak8, Ali and 3 others like this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This has genuinely, and seriously, reached the level of Homeopathic A&E. It's beyond parody because good parody is self-aware and smart.

"Patient is suffering from cardiac symptoms, advise at least a 7-hole course, followed by lunch, of no less than 1h, with friends afterwards. Next patient!"

12. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6 minute walk test a problem?
    No problem, do an hour.