1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK Health Research Authority defends PACE. Answer to MP's question, February 2019.

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by ME/CFS Skeptic, Feb 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

well, they also got the approval date wrong--they said it was 2007

andypants, MEMarge, Dolphin and 8 others like this.
  2. InfiniteRubix

InfiniteRubix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow. How depressingly disappointing.

Dolphin, DokaGirl, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a bit like Jenga - they keep trying to push the blocks back in....

andypants, MEMarge, DokaGirl and 6 others like this.
  4. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

First, I think SW hinted at this in a tweet that essentially suggested that PACE would not be declared poor science at any inquiry I know the letter isn't an inquiry but I think it's indicative of the tenor of continued support (and pressure) that would come from on high. He is well aware of the people who are invested in protecting the integrity of the trial.

The letter seems to have a lot of caveats and is cautiously worded.

The best strategy I can think of is to isolate this London group from the rest of the world as much as possible.
    In other words, they will never capitulate. There is no sense trying. But if most of everyone else can see that the trial is nonsense then they will start to look so ridiculous that they will at least need to quietly withdraw.

Will now go back to reading others posts.

sea, andypants, MEMarge and 11 others like this.
  5. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also, the pages at this site cannot be archived.

MEMarge, DokaGirl and Esther12 like this.
  6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Basically, the establishment supporting itself.

It's hard to conduct a review if you don't actually understand or engage with the specific issues at stake...

sea, MEMarge, Dolphin and 8 others like this.
  7. large donner

large donner Guest

What they are trying to say was the only reason they didn't release data was to protect patient confidentiality, and because of "vexatious requests" and all the other usual crap that White and co tried to pull.

The whole thing reads like they just went and asked White about all of this and then just said to him can you write the response for us you know more about it than us.

They seem to think that's a reasonable way to carry out an inquiry.

Forbin, sea, MEMarge and 14 others like this.
  8. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Essentially.

sea, MEMarge, Dolphin and 5 others like this.
  9. large donner

large donner Guest

Is that true considering the latest state of affairs under review at Cochrane?

10. InfiniteRubix

InfiniteRubix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's what I thought....
    Own goal, or is the wording smart-enough doublespeak?

MEMarge and DokaGirl like this.
  11. large donner

large donner Guest

It does seem conveniently timed that the expected hit piece on David Tuller is in the works alongside this fake response about the PACE trial that seems to be living in a denial cocoon.

12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, DokaGirl, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  13. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Wondering if, having been a response to a single question during the hearing before the Select Committee last year where J Montgomery said he was unsighted on the topic, this letter is weak enough for the Select Committee to consider calling him back to discuss?

andypants, MEMarge, Binkie4 and 6 others like this.
  14. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

So basically they say it was a high quality trial because the MRC funded it, the journals published it, Cochrane said it was high quality, it was co-designed with a patient group, and the protocol and stats plan were public and data available to other researchers. Eminence based science.

And on conflicts of interest - it was supposedly in line with what was normally done at the time, so therefore OK. And on FOI's and release of data they say QMUL was right on the grounds that it won more cases than it lost.

As for this:

''We have not seen evidence that outcome measures were changed in order to achieve a specific outcome.''
    Words fail me. How could there be any other reason for changing them? Even SW with his daft ship's course being changed in order to reach the right port metaphor admitted as much.

It's one of the biggest buck passing exercises I've seen. They didn't investigate anything, just trusted everyone else to have done the right thing.

15. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Even the authors asserted they did it because the original criteria were too strict, which is another way of saying the original criteria would have produced outcomes unacceptable to them.

MarcNotMark, Forbin, sea and 16 others like this.
  17. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[My bold]
    Fair enough ... so can we finally have a debate on PACE? Because so far the authors and their supporters have refused to engage in one. Their only "engagement" is to cast aspersions at those who strive to debate the science with them. The above comment acknowledges the quality of PACE is not nearly so cut and dried as they might otherwise suggest. Deliberate ambiguity?
    [My bold]
    Any one undisclosed CoI would presumably constitute failure to comply with the Declaration of Helsinki. They cite one they deem to not be a failure, yet tail off identifying clear omissions in the PIS ... is that not a failure then? Even though they don't say it's a failure, they don't dispute it.
    They were advising insurance companies to not pay out to patients unless those patients underwent treatments that the authors had trialled and recommended. Seeing as they no doubt saved the insurance companies pots of money by reducing their payouts, they would therefore have assured long term continuance of their advisory roles, so their remunerations assured long term. And the professional kudos that went with that is also a form of personal gain.
    That debating thing again.
    And again. Oh for some real debate.

18. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Am feeling very ignorant but I am not really sure of the full significance of this.

Can we, S4ME, copy and file the HRA decision?

Does the H of C keep copies of answers to questions from its committees or MPs? Are they accessible to us?

19. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great example of sunk cost and escalation of commitment, trying evermore people to the failure of this fake research, giving them motivation to help defend it.

Now any trial criticized for changing their success criteria in order to achieve a more positive outcome can cite this judgment. Overlapping entry and "success" criteria? Same. Conflicts of interest, self-reviews and mutual admiration networks, fast-tracking, broad selection criteria, biasing and cherry-picking patients, monetary gain from paid advisory work, all of this can now be brushed off in any trial done in the UK by simply pointing at this as validation that it's all fine. Telling your participants that the treatment they're testing works during the trial, basically promising a cure? All good and proper. Registering and then arbitrarily changing protocol? No problem, just hide it well enough and nobody cares.

The judgment also makes a point that it's probably all good since Lancet hasn't retracted it (and Cochrane too but it's kind of linked). It's likely that another high profile retraction could sink the Lancet for good, showing it has learned absolutely nothing from the Wakefield paper and cannot be counted as a reliable arbiter of science, as if the recent EAT-Lancet debacle wasn't bad enough. Every institution has been ensnared, the rope firmly around everyone's neck. If this falls, they all feel the pain.

Destroying the credibility of all UK medical institutions, all for the stupid ideological IAPT project. I guess we have our first confirmed case of actual mass hysteria driven by unhelpful illness beliefs. It's usually one possible explanation but here, clearly, madness is the driving force.

Forbin, andypants, Atle and 16 others like this.
  20. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The analysis plan was suddenly changed when the FINE trial revealed null results. This is not a coincidence.

andypants, MEMarge, ukxmrv and 9 others like this.