1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: Government to invest £375 million in neurodegenerative disease research, 2021

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Nov 15, 2021.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...million-in-neurodegenerative-disease-research

Yessica, sebaaa, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  2. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do we know whether MND was considered in that study where they found ME is funded at about 7.4% commensurate to quality of life and disease burden? Would be interesting to know whether it was deemed to be poorly funded.

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I'm glad MND is getting research funding, along with other listed diseases. They all cause dreadful suffering.

Hutan, sebaaa, alktipping and 11 others like this.
  4. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am surprised to see MCI on the list, I was not aware it was classified as a neurodegenerative disease.

I have a diagnosis of MCI, have had for about a decade, the consultant ventured no opinion but I suspect that in my case it's secondary, an effect of, ME.

I am not aware of any treatment options, or research, I was told that no action would be taken until it progressed into something they could be bothered to treat.

So research funding - is good.

5. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The usual trick of putting a multi year figure in the headline, which will be endlessly repeated year on year making it appear that the investment is 5 times higher than it is. £75 million a year appears to be an increase on this area of research but it needs picking through the accounts to see whether this is all real new money or just old promises repackaged. Interesting Hansard debate here: https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commo...27-4531040E8228/MotorNeuroneDisease(Research)

Hutan, sebaaa, alktipping and 11 others like this.
  6. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, recycling the funding announcements, a favorite trick of governments in Canada too

Good to see this funding for these diseases.

Hutan, sebaaa, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  7. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does any one know how much the government spends towards ME per year? Also how much of it goes towards quack psychosocial research?

Mod note: discussion here - Funding of ME/CFS research in the UK

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2021
    alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.