1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: Dr Sarah Myhill

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Arnie Pye, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

sebaaa, Alton, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  2. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She told me on the phone that not many of her patients had covid because of the supplement package she recommended. (I already take supplements fwiw, not that this is appropriate or relevant...) So I don't think I can bear to watch. Would be interested if anyone reports back.

3. rachel76

rachel76 Established Member

Perhaps not many of her patients have covid because they aren't well enough to go out a lot.

I saw Dr Myhill back in 1996 and her treatment then caused permanent worsening.

I worsened badly on her Biocare supplements. She ignored that.
    I also reacted badly to her EPD injections. I have since found out that the evidence behind them is almost non existent.

Back in those days she did something called "The Pear and Lamb Diet". That made me lose a ton of weight. She seems to hover between the Paleo diet and Keto now.

Seeing her was the worst mistake I ever did in my 20+ years of ME. Maybe even worse than my going back to school while sick.

As for her sudden specialization in Covid - she sounds even more arrogant than when I saw her. I speak as someone who is against vaccine mandates.

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Binkie4, Hutan, Ariel and 4 others like this.
  5. Tara Green

Tara Green Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I happened to get this recommended to me somehow last week. I don't know how as I don't follow the college of Myhill. Still it was interesting to watch her graduation speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXHdNxsDaqk

Ariel and hibiscuswahine like this.
  6. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

the link no longer works and I can't find him on google but find this 2 word description fascinating simply on the basis of knowing a bit about what is involved in proprioception (did a module in it, lots about how there is both forward processing and backward processing etc so geekily found it rather interesting) how dysfunction of it could relate to ME or recovering from it, but in a genuinely intrigued way

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  7. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I noticed the link had been removed. You could always contact the person whose webpage it is, as he is the author of the document.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
    bobbler and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  8. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But surely lots of people have what could be labelled "proprioceptive dysfunction", yet they don't have ME?

I'm relatively still compared to others in the family, but all the same my toes twitch constantly because my brain keeps wanting to know where my feet are, I have to fidget a lot because it's the only way I can tell where my backside ends and the sofa starts, and I can't walk in darkness because I don't know which way is up unless I can see. I seek contact with rough surfaces, heavy weights, and anything that accelerates really fast (like planes at take-off), because it gives you SO much proprioceptive feedback.

Most people with this type of profile don't have chronic illness, though, they're just chronic clumsy fidgeters, chewers, rockers, fallers, and smashers of crockery.

MEMarge, obeat, Amw66 and 2 others like this.
  9. Three Chord Monty

Three Chord Monty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2023
  10. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nine months seems like a token, she'll just start up again once the ban has elapsed.

11. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds like most medical professionals I've met, with their BPS nonsense. They should be brought to justice as well.

12. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She's anti-vaccine and anti-mask too. She always seemed to me as a bit odd in her recommendations. This time I think she's gone beyond the pale and should be struck off completely.

13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I agree. It's interesting to see some MEA members on FB defending her and calling it a witch hunt.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  14. hibiscuswahine

hibiscuswahine Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not going to tell the support groups I am in, it will be so very divisive, some people follow her CFS book to the letter and do not appreciate the non-evidence base for her theories and practice. Combined with the covid pandemic and vaccination, it gets very disruptive.

15. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m not sure what effect this will have as I thought she’d given up her medical licence already due to insurance issues, and was just practicing as a naturopath? Shame, as a more holistic approach such as she aspires to potentially has some value if practiced responsibly and where appropriate, but she went beyond the pale with her covid recommendations.

16. CRG

I think anyone with an FB account can comment so not just MEA members. I was going to write something, but honestly what's the point - the whole barking madness of internet memes and circular whataboutery in defence of the indefencible.

17. CRG

A doctor can be on the Medical Register without a licence to practice - by being on the Register they can seek to have their licence restored, so a ban (suspension) on a Dr without a current licence means they can not seek re-instatement of their licence until after the ban has elapsed. The medical record will show this, which impacts on how the Dr is viewed by anyone searching the register. https://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/2734668 Given that Myhill is appealing she must feel that this is of some relevance to her.

18. hibiscuswahine

hibiscuswahine Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, She will want to retain her ability to be on the medical register to continue to attract patients and legitimise her views.

In my country, we have integrative GP’s fighting the Medical Council, some are still trying to practice, they have been suspended and will not get their license (registration) to practice unless they accept the MC’s ruling that they are not fit to practise because they have rejected EBM. (They are now trying to get freedom of speech/human rights law to support them, funded by conspiracy theorists).

But then have to accept my country’s MC ruling to have Retraining and Supervision in their vocational area. Most have quit and become leaders in populist conspiracy movements and political parties.

Edited

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  19. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have been really shocked by Myhill's stance on covid. I had previously been a patient of hers (starting over a decade ago) and am aware of various problems with her approach to things, but seeing what she has said and recommended during this time just has me at a loss. It's unfortunate particularly at a time when a lot of new people are seeking advice for ME.

Oddly a neighbour of mine has/had Long Covid (he says he is almost recovered after a year) and has been recommending Myhill's book to me! It's like, how does he know about her?? He was previously healthy, 30ish. So surreal after all this time; it was such a niche thing before. (He claims a different website helped him ultimately). He doesn't mask, and I wonder if he and his partner could have been influenced to keep the shared hallways safe, as he has been very ill.

I wish Myhill hadn't gone in this direction. It's just so bizarre and unsettling, and a disservice to her current and former patients and all ME patients generally.

As someone said, she claimed (to me in our last call) to be now practicing as a naturopath or something and so wouldn't need her license/insurance anyway. I found this all really unfortunate and potentially disingenuous. It is not helping people to be carrying on like this and to be pretending supplements prevent covid illness/etc.

As she had helped me a long time ago and as someone far more disabled following covid then I was at the time, I am really struggling with all of this. I really appreciate reading other people's views on this to help process these events.

20. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a really good point. It is interesting to compare how a female GP operating alone, who set out (even if misguidedly) to offer genuine support to ME patients is treated, compared to those in the "right" clubs, who're predominantly male.

Investigations into her practice long precede the pandemic, so it's not all about masks and vaccines.

I don't support her approach, but I don't see how anyone could think she's more of a risk to patients or the public reputation of science than the BPS proponents.