1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: Doctors will be encouraged to issue fewer sick notes

Discussion in 'Work, Finances and Disability Insurance' started by John Mac, Feb 15, 2023.

1. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder how many of those are due to long covid?

2. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They must be panicking about the economic impact of long covid. This initiative won’t work. You can’t wish away your disability.

3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have no idea but it would not be surprising if many were waiting for treatment for other things, with waiting lists lengthening astronomically.

The government seems not to have realised that a successful health service sone that minimises the number of people ill. Most people who know they are ill are waiting to be seen or treated.

Long waiting lists are not just a sign of inefficiency. They are a direct measure of failure.

alktipping, Michelle, FMMM1 and 15 others like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One thing I've always wondered about is why the number of places for students at medical schools is so restricted in the UK, and as far as I can tell has always been kept low. When the number of doctors is too small why ration the number of student places?

I've always assumed that the UK government relies on other countries to train more doctors for them on the cheap, which obviously deprives other countries of their doctors. And those foreign doctors will only come here if there is a functioning health service to work in, the wages and hours are acceptable, and they can bring their families over to the UK. I'm sure freedom of movement in the EU was a draw too (no longer, obviously), for those who had the opportunity of becoming citizens.

alktipping, Forestvon, RedFox and 3 others like this.
  5. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thread here: https://www.s4me.info/threads/the-p...ave-their-home-country-for-jobs-abroad.32872/

Couple of relevant links in this post: https://www.s4me.info/threads/the-p...me-country-for-jobs-abroad.32872/#post-470240

alktipping, Arnie Pye, RedFox and 2 others like this.
  6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Employment: People on long-term sick feel 'written off'
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66201186