The Philippines' 'critical brain drain' as nurses leave their home country for jobs abroad

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by CRG, Apr 14, 2023.

1. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ITV

The Philippines' 'critical brain drain' as nurses leave their home country for jobs abroad

Thousands of nurses from the Phillippines move to the UK to work for the NHS, but it's leaving their health service struggling, ITV News Asia Correspondent reports.

The Philippines is the biggest exporter of nurses in the world.

It’s not a boast, it’s more of a burden for a heavily populated, developing nation where poverty, drug abuse and unemployment are major issues.

Remittances sent home from its large overseas population account for 10% of GDP, and much of that comes from nurses.

The classes at the nurse’s training college we visited in Manila were full. There’s no problem attracting students into the healthcare profession, but it is difficult to get them to stay and work in the Philippines.

The nurses say the salary in the UK is much better than the Philippines.

More at link, plus video: https://www.itv.com/news/2023-04-13/the-philippines-brain-drain-as-nurses-flock-to-the-nhs

This is not just a UK/Philippines issue, world wide health professional staff shortage is impacting health delivery in many countries.

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It's an issue I've been giving quite a bit of thought to, but this is the first time I have seen it in the media.

Here in my country, the plan to staff our health system seems to involve a very large percentage of immigrants. That's quite a big imposition on the countries that produce those health workers - raising those people and educating them. Perhaps many of their best workers will head off overseas, leaving these countries with very compromised health systems.

I reckon there is an argument for countries importing health workers from countries with lower GDPs to pay something to the source country to help them compete for health workers, or to contribute to the training facilities to help ensure the training is good. The Philippines is an example of a country that exports workers, with remittances from these overseas workers being a crucial part of the national income.

It's not without its problems in the host country either. The new people have to be helped to settle and adapt to the local culture. In my country, we get quite a few doctors from the UK - it's not the less-wealthy country exporting immigrants of course, but I have seen doctors with BPS views coming in to add to our home-grown problems, for example taking up jobs with health insurance assessing organisations.

3. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This has been a major issue here too for many many years now. And it wasn't just nurses but doctors too who also had a low salary. (It was a bit odd here though, since certain types of doctors could actually earn a lot, but illegally. Patients gave a lot of money in envelopes to surgeons, obstetricians, etc, and some of these doctors even expected it and had their price list.) But other doctors, like an anesthesiologist didn't earn a lot.

To counter all of this, both the illegal payment and the brain drain, salaries have been raised recently. We have yet to see how much effect this really has but to be honest, it sounds like healthcare here is still on the brink of collapse due to lack of doctors. I'm surprised it hasn't collapsed yet.

There are some hospitals where you cannot give birth, only on certain days due to lack of doctors here. The government's current dispute with doctors is due to their disagreement with them on the restructuring of GP services.

I remember at the beginning of the pandemic we bought tons of ventillators and there was this short video where the PM proudly walked around in a hospital, chatting with doctors etc. And one young doctor said: yes, it is great that we have all these ventillators, but we don't actually have enough staff to operate them, so it is not much of a help.

I hear from people working at the ER that a surprising number of people go there with their non-emergency health issues because they actually get care there.

Also, it is very difficult to get an appointment with some clinics now as some of them are booked for months and months. So some of them won't even give you an appointment at all. My sister's doctor gave her an "emergency referral" but even that didn't matter, she was turned away.

So the solution basically is: try to avoid getting ill. Or be rich and use private healthcare services.

The major destination for people working in healthcare was the UK here too but I think it has changed now and now it is Germany and Austria. I also know a lot of nurses in elderly care work in those countries now and there aren't enough of them here anymore.

Btw, I even know a British guy living here whose business a couple of years ago was to recruit and help Hungarian healthcare workers move to the UK.

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

And yet the UK also has a critical shortage of doctors and nurses, and they are going on strike for more pay and many planning to move to Australia. The UK hasn't trained enough clinicians for years.

FMMM1, alktipping, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  5. CRG

AFAIK the UK has since 1948 set the annual allocation of medical school places at below the total estimated need for the NHS - it's been an inbuilt part of the system. Initially it may have been well intended, allowing 'Commonwealth' trained medics the opportunity to work in the 'advanced medicine' of the UK. But the reality is that it's been cheaper to hire in doctors to the UK - and then also nurses from the late 1950s, than actually train the full number the UK has needed, a cynical position of Government that has been maintained over decades.

The UK's ageing population is accelerating the problem, but was disguised while the UK was in the EU and able to attract EU trained medics who enjoyed the same full employment and residency rights as UK medics. That ended with the UK leaving the EU and makes the UK position even more exploitative of foreign trained staff because they have no long term right to remain and may have only six month contracts, also unable to bring family with them. An unhealthy way to run a health service.

FMMM1, alktipping, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  6. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

FMMM1, alktipping, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was pleased to see the UK nursing unions turn down the government pay offer today. This may be a bit political but it is about there being any prospect of PMWE, along with anyone else, having any chance of safe effective healthcare here.

Partly I thought the nurses deserved a lot more and it would be hard for them to strike again in a year's time. But more importantly I think there needs to be a unified voice from health workers saying 'we are striking because unless we get paid a lot more and more jobs are created in the NHS nobody will be safe because working conditions continue to spiral downwards'.

Forestvon, FMMM1, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  8. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Same in Norway. Although I'm not sure how many are actually planning to go to Australia or other places. there have been some opinion pieces by healthcare personell where they tell about ads they get sent by companies, with pictures of sunny beaches and promises of better pay and better work/life balance.

We already send a lot of students abroad to get educated (as GPs, dentists and psychologists mostly, but also physiotherapists and I guess some nurses and a handful of dietitians), where they get more debt than if they got the education i Norway (there aren't enough places for education in Norway, universities are saturated for GPs, dentists and psychologists).

I think doctor education is pretty safe abroad, but for other healthcare groups there have been multiple cases of regulation change that has made the education they got useless in Norway. So you could be at your fifth year as a psychology student and then there is a change so that you will not be allowed to work as a psychologist in Norway.. even if the education has been accepted for years already. It has been a terrible mess that understandably make people unsure if they should take their education abroad because it's impossible to know that you will be allowed to use it.

9. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The number of Canadian nurses getting the paperwork required to work in the United States has more than doubled in the last five years.

10. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh yes, lots of Norwegian medical students here too (also many from Iran and Germany) and it has been like that for quite a while now. I remember even when I was a student the Norwegian medical student was a bit of a "stereotype". I remember one time a bunch of them showed up at one of the student pubs and they were sitting there, drinking beer while holding a huge Norwegian flag for some reason. So we went up to them and started asking them to translate some of the Norwegian black metal bands' names and song titles for us. Poor fellows. :laugh:

11. CRG

12. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Almost 20 years ago we attended a graduation ceremony for nurses. This was in Canada. Right out of school, several of them had signed up for nursing jobs in the USA.

13. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Canada has planned on accepting a large number of immigrants to fill job vacancies. The cost of housing, and supply may be significant problems for them. It has been so for some time now.

Understaffing causing health care errors has been particularly noticeable to me since the pandemic started.

Newly arrived health workers are going to have a lot of socioeconomic issues to deal with.

14. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If the Philippines offers their curriculum in English, then it is much easier for them to pass requirements in the USA, because they won’t have to pass English tests—the article implies that the UK still requires an English competency test.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2023