UK disability statistics: Prevalence and life experiences, August 2023

Discussion in 'General disability topics and advocacy' started by Andy, Aug 24, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

This briefing brings together disability data from a range of sources, providing information on the size and characteristics of the UK's disabled population, and highlighting disparities between the life experiences of disabled and non-disabled people.

How many people have a disability?

The latest estimates from the Department for Work and Pensions’ Family Resources Survey indicate that 16.0 million people in the UK had a disability in the 2021/22 financial year. This represents 24% of the total population.

The proportion of the population reporting a disability has risen by 6 percentage points since 2002/03, up from 18%. Most of this increase has been observed over the past decade, with disability prevalence up by 5 percentage points from 19% in 2010/11.

The prevalence of disability rises with age: in 2021/22 around 11% of children in the UK were disabled, compared to 23% of working-age adults and 45% of adults over State Pension age. Most people aged 80 and over reported a disability (58%).

More at https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-9602/

2. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

23% of working-age adults disabled is surprising.

3. IanMcPhee

IanMcPhee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know, looking at the disability criteria I can see it being that. I do think it would be more useful if they broke it down into working and non working groups though.

ahimsa, MEMarge, MeSci and 1 other person like this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member