1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: Disability benefits (ESA and PIP) - news and updates 2021 - 2022

Discussion in 'Work, Finances and Disability Insurance' started by Kitty, Jan 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, that's helpful, thank you. I haven't even started on mine yet in case the delays are still ongoing by next year. This is entirely possible, given that some people whose reviews are/were due this summer may be postponed until then!

2. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mine does end in sept 2022,hopefully I will get 12 month extension then as I haven’t heard anything

3. Kitty

Seeing as we're nearly halfway through the month already, it might be worth contacting them to check? Normally you'd have heard something well in advance of the end of the award, even if it was only that they'd reviewed it on paper and didn't need you to do anything. That may have changed during the pandemic, though.

The chances are that there's a delayed letter on the way saying that it's being extended, but it's possible they've sent you a renewal form or other correspondence and it's got lost in the post. It'd be awful if they stopped your award the end of the month because they'd asked you to do something, and you hadn't responded because you didn't even know about it. :nailbiting:

MEMarge, bobbler, RedFox and 3 others like this.
  4. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Happened to someone I know ... :(

MEMarge, Peter Trewhitt and bobbler like this.
  5. Kitty

I thought I'd posted this article from Benefits & Work about ESA compensation payments—I can't find it, though, so I obviously dreamt it.

It's about an issue specifically affecting people who were transferred to ESA from the old Incapacity Benefit, from 2011 onwards.

Some of these claimants were placed on contributions-based benefit (which is not means tested), without being told that they were also entitled to claim income-related benefit (which is means tested, and entitles them to other support). People who had no other income, didn't live with a partner or in a family member's household, and didn't have capital over £16k, are likely to have been eligible for income-related ESA.

Claimants were later paid the arrears, but were not compensated for the additional support they'd missed out on—free prescriptions, reduced dental costs, NHS vouchers towards glasses or contact lenses, cold weather payments, the warm home discount, etc. Over several years, this could have added up to a lot of money. A successful compensation claim for this missed support has now been made, and Benefits & Work have drafted a simple template letter for other affected people who want to claim compensation.

The issue only affects a minority of claimants and perhaps almost no-one here, but since a sizeable sum could be at stake I thought it was worth posting anyway. DWP are not contacting any of the people who might be eligible, so (as usual) it's up to them to do the hard work themselves.

I've no further information, but there is an article about it here:

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/n...nefits+and+Work&utm_content=14+Sept+2022+news

6. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Volumes of completed initial and repeat Work Capability Assessments
    Most individuals who make a claim for ESA will have a Work Capability Assessment (WCA). The WCA determines whether a person has limited capability for work and therefore eligibility for the benefit. Both new (initial) and existing (repeat) ESA claimants have these assessments. To find out more visit the GOV.UK website.

• Initial assessments refer to the first assessment of the ESA claim

• Repeat assessments refer to subsequent assessments after the prognosis period of first/previous assessment of the ESA claim expires
    In the quarter to March 2022 the number of initial assessments were 22,000 and the number of repeat assessments was 7,800.

Capture2.JPG
    It looks like very few reassessments are being carried out for existing ESA claimants.

Sean, RedFox and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

See a1so -

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/n...wca-success-rates-–-the-secret-is-finally-out

8. Kitty

Probably tempting fate, but I've yet to have one. I've been on it since 2014.

I'm hoping I might be in one of the last tranches to get UC'd, as I'm not all that far from pension age. In fact, going to the bother of transferring people who'll qualify for the state pension a few weeks after the end of the migration period seems to me a complete waste of time and money, but I suppose common sense is rarely deployed in policies like this. Best I can hope for is spending as little time on UC as possible.

alktipping, Trish, RedFox and 3 others like this.
  9. John Mac

Merged thread

25 fold increase in PIP Long Covid awards, one in five getting maximum amount

There has been a 25 fold increase in awards of personal independence payment (PIP) for Long Covid in just one year, DWP statistics have revealed. Over one in five successful claimants is receiving the enhanced rates of both components, totalling £156.90 a week

In July 2021 there were just 108 PIP awards for Long Covid, but by July 2022 – the most recent month for which figures are available – that number had leapt to 2,794.

The success rate for claims based on Long Covid is 47%.

Of those who get an award, 1,233 are receiving the enhanced rate of the mobility component and 722 are getting the enhanced rate of the daily living component.

633 (23%) are getting the enhanced rate for both components.

Yet the level of awards is still tiny compared to the number of people likely to be eligible.

According to the Office for National Statistics (ONS) 1.1 million people have had self-reported Long Covid for at least one year and 514,000 for at least two years.

Long Covid symptoms adversely affect the day-to-day activities of 1.6 million people, with 342,000 reporting that their ability to undertake day-to-day activities had been “limited a lot”.

It is very likely that many of these people would be eligible for an award of PIP.

Fatigue is the most common symptom reported in connection with Long Covid (69%), followed by difficulty concentrating (45%), shortness of breath (42%) and muscle ache (40%).

All of these symptoms would be highly relevant to a PIP claim and would be likely to lead to points being scored for in relation to activities such as:

• Preparing food
    • Managing therapy and monitoring a health condition
    • Washing and bathing
    • Dressing and undressing
    • Engaging with others face-to-face
    • Planning and following a journey
    • Moving around
    It is more than a little surprising then, that in spite of the large increase in the number of awards, there are still so few people claiming PIP for Long Covid

You can read more about PIP for Long Covid and the fact that many thousands of people are likely to be missing out on an award.

Benefits and Work members can download a 7-page, Long Covid PIP supplement, to be used in conjunction with our Guide to PIP Claims and Reviews.

Benefits and Work have also published a short, introductory video on the subject.

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/n...id-awards,-one-in-five-getting-maximum-amount

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2023
    alktipping, Simbindi, RedFox and 8 others like this.
  10. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I'm picking that a flurry of benefit claims by people with Long Covid will do more to get post-infection syndromes some useful research attention than all manner of petitions and lobbying.

11. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That would be nice. My immediate pessimistic instinct was that this would accelerate means-testing of PIP.

alktipping, Simbindi, Amw66 and 6 others like this.
  12. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Both can happen, and 'more impact on research funding than petitions and lobbying' is a pretty low bar

13. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was surprised by how low the number of Long Covid applicants is, given the total number of people with the condition.

It will be interesting to see what effect this ultimately has on overall claims for PIP here in the UK, bearing in mind that many will still be resisting the idea that they are long term disabled, rather still looking to recover from what they believe to be a temporary illness.

Also there is enough uncertainty about prognosis for those with what is likely to be long term ME/CFS to be currently misdirected by misguided medical positivity, and effectively directed away from benefits like PIP.

14. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not even 60k have received a diagnosis of long covid so it's not a surprise to find few in pip. As a community long haulers are being told they will recover so technically PIP requires the expectation of long term illness so many won't be applying as a result. These figures in general show how many long haulers are being failed by medicine both in diagnosis, prognosis and then social support apart from a lack of any treatment options or research.

alktipping, Simbindi, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  15. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder how many Americans are getting SSDI for LC. It's probably also a small number, as the US has similar rules about duration: Your illness must be expected to last at least 12 months (or result in death in that timeframe). You also need "objective medical evidence" to back up any diagnosis. OTOH, I think it's slighly easier to get SSDI than PIP, as the main criterion is inability to work full-time, rather than having difficulty caring for yourself.

16. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It’s a bit stating the obvious based on you couldn’t have caught covid before March 2020 and I don’t know how long you’d need to have it before you apply but doesn’t the process itself take a year (and sometimes more)?

alktipping, Simbindi, Trish and 2 others like this.
  17. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

About four months in my case, although I’m sure mileage may vary and it was probably longer during lockdown.

18. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

my initial claim took 5.5 months. ITs the renewals that are often taking a year or more

19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread
    Article: I've proved I'm disabled - why do I have to do it again to get the benefits I need?

I've proved I'm disabled - why do I have to do it again to get the benefits I need? (msn.com)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2022
  20. John Mac

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.