1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Closed UK: DecodeME updates, was recruitment thread.

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by Andy, Sep 12, 2022.

1. TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker Established Member

TV chef Jamie Oliver has said his wife has
    Long Covid. Maybe worth a contact?

2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Thanks. I think he is on the list of potential contacts already, if not I'll ask that he is added.

Tia, MEMarge, sebaaa and 8 others like this.
  3. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is such a good idea; it would reach a really different kind of audience than what we normally get

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

National Institute of Health Research's Clinical Research Network South West tweet

"Are you 16 or over, living in the UK with an ME/CFS diagnosis? @DecodeMEstudy wants to pinpoint the causes of ME/CFS and ultimately help find treatments. Sign up and complete the questionnaire about your symptoms and experience via the link below. decodeme.org.uk"

AfME tweet

"Episode 8 of our Learn about M.E. podcast is live! We’re excited to release the next podcast episode in our Learn about M.E. series, focusing on the ground-breaking @DecodeMEstudy and why it's important to #pwME."

"You can listen here: ow.ly/qiEp50MSOzL The episode discusses the great need for this genetic research into such a neglected health condition and its potential to uncover new treatments for M.E. It also outlines how people can sign up to take part in the DecodeME study."

6. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's awesome! I hope lots of people sign up.

7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A trick of a sort on a Facebook group is an admin can write @everyone and all members get a message that they are tagged in the thread.

A lot of messages to a Facebook group are only seen by a small number or percentage of members. Doing this would dramatically increase the numbers who would see a message. I think there are tens of thousands of people in the UK on ME/CFS Facebook groups if they could only be reached. This method might help reach more if people could persuade admins to do it for DecodeME messages.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
    Tia, Peter Trewhitt and NelliePledge like this.
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Even if they would do it just for one sounds useful. Facebook is pretty hopeless for getting to people in my experience.

MEMarge, Peter Trewhitt and Dolphin like this.
  9. Dolphin

Thanks. I realise now my message is a little ambiguous: I wasn't expecting it to be done for every DecodeME message.

Peter Trewhitt and NelliePledge like this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Blog: A visit to the UK Biocentre, https://www.decodeme.org.uk/a-visit-to-the-uk-biocentre/

"Claire Tripp – Patient and Public Involvement Team Member

Last month, I visited the UK Biocentre in Milton Keynes, along with Prof Chris Ponting and Dr Diana Garcia, the DecodeME project manager at the University of Edinburgh. The purpose of the visit was to personalise the work they are doing at the Centre for DecodeME and explain where they fit into the wider project. To look beyond the science, and the data, and instead to make it about the people who we are studying and why."

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/decodeMEst...KmdN8QPY1T3RTDYxAZoMcBQgH8CdxfDyNrC421F8MXRrl

MEMarge, tuha, Ariel and 9 others like this.
  11. Dolphin

Peter Trewhitt and RedFox like this.
  12. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Key passages Google translated:
    The rest is an amenable discussion of ME/CFS (one heading reads, "Recognized as a physical illness since 1969, but still psychologized") and overview of the new organization:

13. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think Martin is a member here, I can't remember his user name.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  14. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

RedFox, obeat, Peter Trewhitt and 4 others like this.
  15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Honestly, I don't feel that it would be right for us, as DecodeME, to ask a particular charity to copy what another charity might have done in terms of promoting us. We are grateful for all the support shown to us in all different forms; I know that the MEA has featured us in their members magazine, and I get the impression that they are the most active in terms of social media posts that promote us.

Binkie4, MSEsperanza, Tia and 5 others like this.
  16. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Agreed @Andy if ME Association members want to suggest ideas I would think contacting MEA direct through their email would be the best way.

Binkie4, MSEsperanza, Trish and 4 others like this.
  17. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just reported via the website that I've received a mail today inviting me to take part, even though I submitted both the questionnaire and my sample last year (the sample has been received, but may not yet have been analysed).

Hopefully it's just an isolated glitch, but I thought I'd send a heads-up in case other registered participants have received the email as well.

Binkie4, Ariel, MSEsperanza and 5 others like this.
  18. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If anyone else finds it useful -- QR code to the DecodeME website/ 'ways to share' attached.

(Created by https://goqr.me/ )

DecodeME_waystoshare_qrcode_s.png

19. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just heard today that they were able to extract my DNA from my sample.
    It was posted 17th Oct, it appeared to have gone astray, but turned up end of January.
    :)

Ariel, Binkie4, Dolphin and 7 others like this.
  20. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I received an email today or yesterday saying the same. Was yours an email?

Ariel, Binkie4, RedFox and 3 others like this.