1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK Dec 2018 - £40 million personalised support package for long-term unemployed disabled people launched

Discussion in 'Work, Finances and Disability Insurance' started by Sly Saint, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Disabled people will be able to work with a dedicated key worker to get and stay in employment, the new Work and Pensions Secretary Amber Rudd has announced today."

Re the 'light touch' reviews, I'll believe it when I see it.

(this may explain why the DWP were so interested to know about AfMEs DWP 'training' (?))
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/action-for-m-e-hosts-dwp-spotlight-training.7539/

Joel, Starlight, Simbindi and 18 others like this.
  2. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Secretary of State for Work and Pensions Amber Rudd said:

Everyone, no matter what their background is, should have the opportunity to thrive in the workplace.

I see. So retired people? People with almost-zero brain activity? Children?

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

In that magical world sick people who can't work don't exist.
    I think some politicians have the idea that a disabled person is a person with a bit of a limb missing or someone who is a bit unhappy and just needs a bit of encouragement. They seem to have no idea that some people are simply too sick or disabled or both to work.

Joel, Starlight, Barry and 18 others like this.
  4. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What employer wants disabled people who cannot reliably and consistently come to work? Who will employ pwME who faint on the job, get confused and lightheaded due to OI, can't recall what they're supposed to be doing, lose things all the time, can't understand instructions, have to pace, can't go with the flow, can't work overtime, can't take breaks when scheduled, can't problem solve, make decisions quickly, act quickly, fit in and socialize, work as an equal team member, drive long distances, stand for several minutes, sit for several minutes, and still function normally, rarely get colds or flu, and the list goes on.

Joel, Starlight, Barry and 13 others like this.
  5. Cheesus

Cheesus Established Member (Voting Rights)

400 quid per person for 21 months of support? Doesn't sound particularly realistic.

Edit: Actually 4000. My brain skipped a 0.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  6. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Years ago I met someone involved in administering a government "everyone can work" program. This person was very determined to ignore any reasoning that pointed out some people are too ill to work.

Joel, Starlight, Barry and 11 others like this.
  7. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is the difference between people with disabilities and people with a chronic illness. (Though, of course there is an overlap.)

If they are sincere and not just cost cutting (we wish!) many people with disabilities could work with the proper support. Some places, like our local council offices and local hospital are very good at helping people to stay in employment with things like wheelchairs which go high, stuff like that. Businesses are not so good. In the days when everyone just mucked in I knew a wheelchair bound maths teacher in a school with no lifts. She just waited at the bottom of the stairs until 4 pupils came along to carry her upstairs :)

Sadly I am cynical that this is more about paying a training business than helping anyone.

8. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This

I've seen it all before, it's just a government scheme to make someone rich while appearing to 'care'.

Joel, MEMarge, Simbindi and 6 others like this.
  9. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This ongoing insanity from the government has been thoroughly dissected by the Spartacus report:

https://spartacusnetwork.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/richardsonbenstead-smokescreen-2017.pdf

It is a consciously chosen strategy to promote an ideological agenda, not about true compassion and helping 'disabled' people to lead fulfilling lives.

Sly Saint, Joel, JohnM and 7 others like this.
  10. JaneL

JaneL Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’ve made a start on reading this. The introduction of the report concludes with this line:

!!!! :nailbiting::jawdrop::cry:

shak8, ukxmrv, MeSci and 7 others like this.