1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: Coronavirus Bill could leave thousands of Disabled people without support

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Andy, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.inclusionlondon.org.uk/...thousands-of-disabled-people-without-support/

2. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

“The Bill will effectively free local authorities of their duties to provide social care support under the Care Act 2014”,

Sorry I cannot read the Bill as I’m not feeling too well. Could someone please summarise why the govt is putting this in the bill and why they are freeing local authorities from doing this? Why would that even have an effect on treating and responding to coronavirus - how would that help hospitals to look after coronavirus patients? I don’t understand it.

4. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It enables them to free up hospital bed spaces by discharging patients who do not need to be in hospital for medical reasons, but require social care to be safe at home (this problem is called 'bed-blocking' in the NHS and is a major problem due to the lack of social workers and the current social care crisis). At present, a hospital cannot discharge a vulnerable person with significant social care needs without a proper assessment and care package being put in place - until that has happened the patient (usually a frail elderly person) cannot leave hospital. This is currently a legal requirement, so the crisis bill will waive this duty of care, thus making more hospital beds available for coronavirus patients.

Yes, this will mean that some of the most vulnerable people will be removed from hospital to the community, without adequate community care in place.[Edit: Or social workers will be able to be moved from doing community social care assessments to doing the hospital based ones instead - either way, vulnerable people will be left without much needed social care support]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  5. Alis

Alis Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ffs Cant write much , but been having so many problems with care. was told on Friday I have been transferred to another team , to carry out another care assessment. but they have a waiting list so may be a while. If this goes thru then I may not get it ? Also just read in the independent that
    this legislation also allows " care providers to lower their standards to prioritise resources " :(

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Really sorry to hear this, @Alis. I hope it can be sorted soon for you.
    :hug:

Alis and Invisible Woman like this.
  7. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for explaining. That’s terrible, a very frightening prospect. The solution would have been to put more money and resources into Social services and care, so people would have had safe homes to go back to, but no.

Sarah94, Simbindi, Alis and 1 other person like this.
  8. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And so many were getting less than the bare minimum help they needed anyway. :cry:

ukxmrv, Wits_End, Simbindi and 2 others like this.
  9. Alis

Alis Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  10. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I had involvement with Adult Services in behalf of a relative when my own condition wasn't as severe. It was a nightmare. Every little thing had to be negotiated and fought for. Two days later you'd get a phone call and it would be as though the last 5 calls had never taken place.

Frequently, I was asked, well could you not do this? Well, given my own health condition and the fact I was often too unwell to drive and the journey could take two hours to get there.....no.

Then I was asked why the person couldn't move in with me so I could provide their care. Well, I'm too sick, don't have the room etc. But you have ME - you'll be better soon was the attitude. Fantastic, I said, but then I'll be back in work....

Eventually, we got something sorted. Then I got a phone call. Could I pop round (up to a 4 hour round trip) to change a light bulb? No? Well, couldn't I find anyone else to do it? Well, no, I explained, that's why she needed help from adult services, there wasn't anyone to pop round.

The I was told they'd have to the fire brigade to it & that was a waste of the fire brigade's time (completely agree) and that was my fault. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Alis, Invisible Woman and Simbindi like this.
  12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And so it continues:

article:
    Friday, 1st May 2020
    Disabled man unable to get supermarket delivery left with one Pot Noodle to eat
    https://inews.co.uk/news/real-life/...o-cant-get-supermarket-delivery-slots-2671091