1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 11th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK CMRC 2018 Conference Rachel French

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by NelliePledge, Oct 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

This thread has been split from the CMRC conference thread here

Rachel French presented on 'CFS/ME, IBS and Fibromyalgia: Chance association or common pathway'

See also the MEA summary page 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9c6fnCXE88

Maybe because I’m not having a good day and can’t concentrate well enough but I couldn’t see the point of Rachel French or Frances Williams presentations. Obviously not helped by RF stoping mid flow due to talking about unpublished data. How does any of it help with working out what is going on in ME. I got grumpy because RF was bandying about MUS like it’s a real thing. And if anxiety and depression are 66% heritable as FW says why are they referred to as psychological. #grumpymode

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2018
    MEMarge, Barry, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  2. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don’t think Rachel French has any real understanding of CFS/me as she calls it, just says it’s very vague, typified by fatigue and quotes GET and CBT as treatment, right. It’s like watching a school project. I don’t care if there’s some vague overlap with ibs personally, I’ve never seen one thread on here bemoaning life with IBS. Yes there’s lots of research papers linking all this because it’s a favourite topic of the bps lot to lump us all, detrimentally to “CFS” She even talks about PS stuff, MUS and is reducing CFS to CF and asks is psychological health causing fatigue. Jeez, I wouldn’t want to see more of this again and we deserve better than this but I guess there’s limits in UK to draw on.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    EzzieD, MEMarge, Pechius and 5 others like this.
  3. NelliePledge

I think there are plenty of people who have gut issues tho.

MEMarge and Hutan like this.
  4. NelliePledge

I wonder what happens in the intervals would someone like Sonya C or Charles S go over and explain that MUS is bullshit I would hope so.

ETA @phil_in_bristol any sense of some of these speakers going away more enlightened about ME than when they arrived? Anyone raise the issue of ME not being MUS??

Cinders66, Hutan and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  5. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The USA now have neurogastroenterologists who recognise problems with the autonomic system contribute to some IBS cases.

Cinders66 and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I am horrified that someone addressing a conference on ME and researching its relationship with IBS and Fibromyalgia would be so ignorant about what ME is.

To describe it as ''Vague symptoms, fatigue being the predominant feature'' and to describe management as ''CBT, graded exercise, sleep management, rest periods'' is breathtakingly insulting to her audience and to pwME.

7. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Be fair. The Bristol Stool Charts which she mentions could be useful in categorising the effluent from that region.

Sarah94, TiredSam, obeat and 11 others like this.
  8. Trish

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks for making me laugh. I needed it. I went straight from watching this to Carmine Pariante. Sigh! The CMRC has a long way to go if it wants to get my respect for the conference speakers it invites. Better by far to cut it back to 1 day and focus on the experts like the Biobank people.

9. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

9:10 Rachel French talks about chickens and eggs - did the 'chronic fatigue' cause the psychological ill health or did the psychological ill health cause the fatigue?

She says 'it's difficult to pull that out, (throw hands in the air) it's very much chicken and egg'. The slide then magically concludes that psychological issues are a factor in the manifestation of MUS and may be a factor in causation.

That sounds a lot like, the trigger illness was mostly real, but you carrying on about symptoms after that is a product of your psychological maladjustment.

Well, actually, it's not chicken and egg. In my family, there was a clear timing of the illness onset. So were we psychologically unwell prior to the onset? No. Are we psychologically unwell now? No.

Lest my family's experience be not enough to sway Rachel French's thinking, I suggest looking at the Dubbo studies that could not differentiate people who had extended periods of fatigue etc after an infectious illness from those who did not have extended periods of fatigue etc on the basis of psychological factors at onset.

Rachel seems a nice enough person, but there's an underlying arrogance in her views that must have come from her medical training. The question the study that we only get to hear the beginning of addresses is presumably 'do the women with MUS whine more about the outcome of the repair surgery than the women with organic disease?'.

I hope someone has given her some feedback that causes her to examine her prejudices.

Sarah94, MarcNotMark, EzzieD and 10 others like this.
  10. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes but is it the worst feature, are people saying my IBS is driving me to despair as they do the debilitation and pain. Ofcourse gut issues can be serious, merry Croft had a terrible form but I didn’t see it described as IBS which I think of as mildly life affecting constipation and diarrhoea, is that wrong ? can an illness where you live but have gut issues, I’ve known personally three people living with diagnosed IBS, be remotely compared to an illness that by strict definitions reduces function by 50% at best at worst, cripples in agony.

andypants likes this.
  11. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had IBS for 7 yrs before ME hit. It was/is unpleasant with very painful diarrhoea & stomach cramps. It was miserable but I lived a very full life & it rarely interfered with anything i wanted to do except for having to make sure i knew where all the toilets were & having to pretend i wasn't in pain at work quite often. So from my point of view I agree with you @Cinders66

Missense, andypants and Amw66 like this.
  12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think I would leave it there.

It is a sign of the times that a medical registrar doing an MD should thin that she is able to lecture people about an illness she should realise they know ten times as much about as her.

This is to science What Pooh Bear's fluff blown in is to brain tissue.

Sarah94, MEMarge, Pechius and 9 others like this.
  13. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Im not going to bother watching it ..it would only result in a tripe image. Hopefully the CMRC can weed out the crap for next time.

It would be good for them to gather feedback on the talks from the patient community. I would endure watching it if I was able to give it a rating.

14. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I gather that CMRC has a patient advisory group. I think it would make sense for that group to feed on systematic patient comment on presentations at meetings.

When I was involved in medical scientific meetings it never occurred to me that patients should really be there as well, making sure presenters remained in the real world. Why shouldn't patients stand up during question times to ask presenters if they really think studying mice injected with collagen tells us anything useful about a human disease? Why shouldn't patients ask about the ethical background to a study?

I remember one particular occasion when it did hit home to me just how insular and detached from patient care medical meetings can be. There was a presentation by the Hammersmith Hospital, which had a reputation for doing rather cavalier things to patients in the name of science, sometimes with disastrous results. The presenter acknowledged this, joking about how many of their patients died! The audience had a good haw-haw. Things would have been a bit different if patient delegates were standard. And of course there would have been some patients in the audience - who happened also to be professionals. One of the strange things about the 2014 CMRC meeting where White laid in to patient activists was that there were plenty of patients and carers even in the 'closed' audience because as charity officials (like Charles Shepherd) they were entitled to full attendance. I still wonder a bit why none of them exploded. Presumably because they thought they would lose their right to attend. I had the advantage that it was of no significance to me whether or not I had that right. At the time I did not know enough about the background, but I did make my impression known later.

I don't see why CMRC should not in fact be a trailblazing organisation where patients are involved in science in a genuinely equal way. You need good session moderators to handle people who are off-target or unreasonable, but however difficult that is it is something one can constantly strive to get as good as can be. Some of the people speaking at this year's meeting need to be told that they are invited on the basis that they have something original and well grounded to say. Blathering on from a position of deep ignorance relative to the audience is not OK, especially from a junior person doing a PhD or whatever.

Where are the CMRC patient advocates? Are they on board here? If so why the heck not, since this is a much rigorous scientific atmosphere than any of these meetings?

15. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there some way we can get in contact with the CMRC PAG and find someone willing (they can use an avatar and be nameless even) to liaison with our forum here to provide some sense of input from the wider community?

16. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Crikey i had no idea he'd done that & nobody had stood up & challenged him on it. What a betrayal from our charity reps.

Indeed it is not, & its very telling that the Holgate's of this world think that people who know less about ME/CFS & the science around it, than your average S4ME member, are appropriate speakers/teachers. :banghead:

17. NelliePledge

@phil_in_bristol is on the PAG and indeed introduced DT at the CMRC so could speak to what feedback is solicited and given on the events

18. Trish

I agree it's not acceptable but I wonder why you single out juniors. I am much more offended by Holgate coming back year after year and announcing proudly that he's not an expert on ME, and continuing to invite other people who are also not expert on ME to talk down to us and insult us. Holgate has led the CMRC for years and a committee on ME before that. If he can't be bothered developing some expertise on ME he has no business being there.

Roy S, JemPD, Amw66 and 7 others like this.
  19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

And Pariante. He's also no junior and there's no evidence, to my mind, that he has moved away from a psychiatric explanation of ME. He may be hiding it now behind some faux biomed explanation, but, in my opinion, he's another one who needs to be ditched by the CMRC.

JemPD, BurnA, NelliePledge and 4 others like this.
  20. NelliePledge

Agree with this but I wonder how active Holgate is on picking speakers. Would be interested to know who thought RF would be suitable? Did someone actually speak to her - surely some basic preparation like a 5 minute phone call would have identified the lack of knowledge about ME.