UK:Benefits: Attendance Allowance guide by Money Saving Expert

Discussion in 'General disability topics and advocacy' started by Andy, Jan 31, 2024.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Attendance Allowance is a non-means-tested weekly payment to help cover costs of pensioners (aged 66+) who need someone to 'attend' them.

You can get it if you have a long-term health condition that means you need help with daily tasks. This includes sensory disabilities (such as blindness), or learning difficulties. You must have needed help or supervision for at least six consecutive months, or have been told by a medical professional that you have 12 months or less to live.

There are two rates depending on the level of help you're considered to need:

• The lower rate is £68.10 a week (£3,541 a year). You'll get this if you need help or supervision during EITHER the day OR the night.

• The higher rate is £101.75 a week (£5,291 a year). You'll get this if you need help or supervision during both the day AND the night, or if a medical professional has said you have 12 months or less to live.
    These amounts increase on 6 April each year, in line with inflation.

Far more detail at https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/attendance-allowance/

Hutan, alktipping, Sean and 7 others like this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good reminder! A lot of disabled people who're unable to claim PIP because they're no longer of working age don't realise they could claim this instead.

Hutan, alktipping, Sean and 6 others like this.
  3. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Age UK Advice Line: 0800 678 1602
    Lines are open 8am-7pm, 365 days a year.

• Do you know what benefits to claim and how to claim them?
    • Worried that you can’t afford to retire?
    • Anxious about a planned hospital stay and how to cope when you leave?
    • Need advice on choosing the right care home?
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/services/age-uk-advice-line/

Whenever I contacted AGE UK they were extremely helpful and very informed. A complete breath of fresh air.

Hutan, alktipping, Sean and 6 others like this.
  4. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I forgot to say that AGE UK have a helpline/service that can help you apply for Attendance Allowance and any other benefits you may be entitled to. I was very impressed with them, because had I found over the years that most helplines could only tell me the basics (that I already knew anyway) but AGE UK were different, highly informed, thorough, and very kind.