Typing myalgic encephalomyelitis by infection at onset: A DecodeME study, 2023, Bretherick et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Apr 24, 2023.

1. dratalanta

dratalanta Established Member (Voting Rights)

There’s a difference between sickness behaviour and health-help-seeking (to use the awful jargon).

Women often push through minor illnesses in their daily lives (hiding symptoms) but there’s a lot of evidence that women generally go to the doctor more than men (seeking help).

Hence the phenomenon of men reporting symptoms at home to their wives but suppressing them in front of the doctor. When my stepfather’s achilles was tearing I knew two months before the doctor did: he was open about his symptoms at home but minimised them in front of the GP and physio.

The sex / gender differences in ME are so substantial though that they must surely be related to biological sex.

Ash, MEMarge, janice and 5 others like this.
  2. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, that’s what I was trying to express, that men often seek help from doctors less than women. Thanks for putting my brain foggy post into better words!

I wouldn’t be so sure about “biological sex”. I know of a person whose ME/CFS symptoms improved (though weren’t cured) after he started medical transition FtM.

Ash, yannlk, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  3. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

H @Sarah94 nice to see you, it seems like ages, perhaps i just missed your posts. I hope you're as well as you can be

the key word there being 'after'. I'm pleased for him but as you know, it doesnt mean that transtioning was the cause of the improvement, with such a fluctuating and unpredictable disease it could be pure coincidence. Intriguing though... is he taking hormones? (If you/he doesnt mind my asking).

I always wondered why research into hormonal effects/mechanisms isnt explored more

Edited to correct pronouns

Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
    Ash, MEMarge, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  4. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah I haven't been around much, just prefer to spend my energy on non-ME related things, especially since acquiring a girlfriend (!!) (If you missed that post, you won't have to scroll far down my recent to find it)

I said "after he started medical transition", by which I meant "shortly after he started taking testosterone".

I don't want to get into a debate about one anecdote. I just wanted to make the point that it's not as simple as biological/birth sex, as someone else had brought that up. People taking cross-sex hormones cannot simply be put into the category of their birth sex, scientifically.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2024
    Ash, MEMarge, Simon M and 3 others like this.
  5. JemPD

yes absolutely agree. I was clearly not awake enough to be posting this morning as i see now my post was unnecessary & your point was clear, i didnt take in the context given by prior posts fully enough. Sorry :rolleyes:

Edited: for clarity, & to add that i so pleased the reason i've not seen you is because you've been doing other more enjoyable stuff, congrats on the girlfriend :) so pleased for you

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2024
  6. Simon M

Simon M Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can see that as a reason for men to be slower in seeking diagnosis (if it’s true). But most case definitions of ME requires a 50% reduction in functional capacity. If that has happened, which usually means losing your job or reducing hours with huge financial impact, as well as massive impact on the rest of your life, then would I find it almost impossible to think that people wouldn’t eventually go to the doctor. Not in a country where healthcare is free and almost everybody is registered with a GP practice.

In any case, the same argument applies to every chronic illness, but the very high female ratio seen in ME is way ahead of almost all chronic illnesses.

It’s interesting that in the Norwegian study of 2014, looking at new cases, which includes a lot of children, the higher rate for females emerges at roughly the age that puberty starts.

Added, I think I saw similar data in an old Esther Crawley study, but I can’t find it now.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
    Ash, Sid, janice and 10 others like this.
  7. horton6

horton6 Established Member

There's some people (usually AFAB, I think) who report some improvement when taking progesterone, but I don't know if that's been studied.

I'm a trans man (assigned female at birth, taking testosterone) and if testosterone affects my illness, it must take weeks or months because I've never been able to tie a change in symptoms to starting or stopping testosterone.

ahimsa, Ash, MeSci and 12 others like this.
  8. JemPD

Interesting, thanks for sharing your experience.

What/who is 'AFAB'?

I started taking progesterone about 10yrs into my ME & didnt notice any difference. Am just coming off it now after 13yrs so we will see what happens. It was the progesterone only pill - desogesterel though, so perhaps as a synthetic progesterone thats not the smae & perhaps the dose is different.

9. horton6

horton6 Established Member

Sorry, AFAB = Assigned Female At Birth

A fair number of transfeminine people (i.e. those assigned male at birth) are also prescribed progesterone, but given the sex differences in incidence of CFS, I don't know that there are many who would be able to speak to this question. They do often take progesterone capsules rectally to avoid some of the filtering done by the liver.

The doses I've seen people report anecdotally have been big - well into the hundreds of milligrams per day. These seem to usually be people who have experienced remission during pregnancy and are able to convince a doctor to prescribe on that basis, so maybe that's why (to mimic the levels during pregnancy rather than what's required for contraception? I'm not certain, it's been a long time since I had to consider hormonal contraception).

Ash, MeSci, Kitty and 6 others like this.
  10. JemPD

thats interesting horton6 thanks. yeah desogesterel is only 75micrograms so pretty low anyway.

Ash, Kitty, MEMarge and 1 other person like this.
  11. Simon M

Simon M Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's very interesting, thanks for sharing.

I'd also say that any effect of sex hormones is most likely seen on risk (whether or not you get ME), not symptoms for the illness. DecodeME found women had more symptoms (a bigger effect) and were more severe (smaller effect) than men (not sure if that is sex at birth) - but these effects were both small compared with the very large effect on sex ratio overall.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
    Daisymay, ahimsa, Sean and 10 others like this.
  12. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@horton6 you might be interested in Akiko Iwasaki's comment on Twitter. (She might be interested in yours above too.)