Typing myalgic encephalomyelitis by infection at onset: A DecodeME study, 2023, Bretherick et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Apr 24, 2023.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Also because the headline was about severity perhaps just using that word made a difference especially to anyone unaware that ME can actually be severe.

MEMarge, Ariel, RedFox and 4 others like this.
  2. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very good question here

https://twitter.com/user/status/1695045411923279931

"Have been exploring M.E media portrayal more today following yesterday's media blitz. Realised that if the key messages was the impact of women/ getting worse as get older, why did the media feature younger women who were recovering? Now the public has mixed messages"

Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
    Sarah94, Binkie4, MEMarge and 10 others like this.
  3. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, I was using the publicly available figure. I will update.

Binkie4, MEMarge, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Binkie4, Dolphin, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Women More Likely to Suffer From Chronic Fatigue: Study
    Geneticists searching for the cause of the commonly described illness chronic fatigue say studies so far show women are most likely to be affected. With the results of over 17,000 people, it’s the first large-scale research into the sickness which has baffled doctors for many years. Chronic fatigue is the common name for myalgic encephalomyelitis, also known as ME. Inside Edition Digital’s Stephanie Officer has more.

groan 'chronic fatigue'; and is this really what the study is saying?? clearly they didn't 'read the paper'.
    messaging is all over the place.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2023
    RedFox, Sean, Lou B Lou and 1 other person like this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This 93-second news item is on a YouTube channel that has 12.2 million subscribers!

It uses the footage from Sky News that some of us have already seen.

Ash, RedFox, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
    Ash and oldtimer like this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ME Research UK

DecodeME is the largest ME/CFS study in the world, and, very importantly, is co-produced by people with lived experience of ME/CFS. The study aims to collect information from people with ME/CFS, and to consider whether certain genes, biological pathways and cells are directly involved in ME/CFS.

While DecodeME is an ongoing study, a paper has recently been published reporting initial findings from the questionnaire relating to the characteristics of the people who have taken part so far.

Read more here: https://www.meresearch.org.uk/initial-findings-from-the-decodeme-questionnaire

Sean, oldtimer, RedFox and 5 others like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

David Tuller: Interview about DecodeME with Professor Chris Ponting

"Professor Chris Ponting is a geneticist at the University of Edinburgh. He is also the principal investigator for DecodeME, a genome wide association study. The DecodeME team recently published findings from more than 17,000 questionnaires it had collected from patients. In our conversation, Professor Ponting discussed these results, why it is important to have patients involved in the research, and related issues."

ETA: https://virology.ws/2023/08/31/tria...ponting-discusses-on-decodemes-first-results/

Last edited: Aug 31, 2023
    Binkie4, Amw66, Ash and 12 others like this.
  10. dave30th

Chris' sound seems low. I hope it's sufficiently audible.

Ash and alktipping like this.
  11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I did need to boost the volume a bit in order to him clearly, it was OK for me but it might be challenging for others with more sensitive hearing than me.

Binkie4 and alktipping like this.
  12. dave30th

i wasn't sure why that happened. it wasn't a problem on one I did yesterday.

Ash, Binkie4, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  13. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Chris’ room looks like it is one of those old buildings with pretty high ceilings made me think maybe an acoustic issue?

I had to turn the sound up a bit too and then could hear ok

good conversation - 2 top blokes :thumbup:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2023
    Binkie4, Trish, Andy and 2 others like this.
  14. dave30th

Oh, good!

Ash, Binkie4, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  15. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's best to run your audio through something like Audacity to get your levels right and perhaps apply a compressor before publishing.

Dolphin, Binkie4, EzzieD and 2 others like this.
  16. dave30th

You're talking to someone who understands nothing about technology and online anything. I don't really know what any of that means and thinking about trying to figure it out fills me with anxiety. :(

Evergreen, Ash, Chezboo and 4 others like this.
  17. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The paper states:

"Participants reporting an infection at onset were more likely to have had ME/CFS symptoms for over 10y than those reporting no infection at onset (66.8% [n=7,246] vs. 45.1% [n=1,183]). This is despite their similar ages (medians 54y [IQR=43y–64y] and 52y [IQR=41y–62y], respectively). The statistical significance of this difference is strong. When testing for association between those with an infection around the time of ME/CFS onset and duration (<10y vs. >10 years since time of onset), age and sex, only association with duration was significant (p = 4×10-67). This relative paucity of participants not reporting an infection around the time of onset of their ME/CFS over 10y ago is unexpected, and not easily explained by historic variation in ME/CFS triggers because association with age was not significant in this analysis (p > 0.05)."
    Does anyone have a plausible explanation for this? Might it point to more ME/CFS-outbreaks in the past (more than 10 years ago) than in recent years?

Binkie4, Simon M, RedFox and 5 others like this.
  18. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i am feeling very grotty cant really understand anything other than the first sentence (that i bolded). Couldnt the explanation be that perhaps infectious onset ME is a different biological/pathological beast, than non infectious onset..... ie look similar but actually not, and non infection onset is less long lasting/easier to recover or improve from. Could be 2 completely different entities that only appear same/similar??

I cant explain what i mean... lol... closes eyes and turns over in bed.

Binkie4, Simon M, MeSci and 7 others like this.
  19. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe one is that people can have an infection without realising, and another is that many viral infections aren't very memorable?

On questionnaires that ask for a Yes/No answer I have to say I had no infection, because it was nearly 50 years ago, onset was insidious, and I've no idea whether I had a bug around that time or not.

(As an aside, none of the three pwME I've been close to knew what their trigger was, so we were surprised when we discovered via internet groups that some people do!)

It's M.E. Linda, Hutan, MeSci and 4 others like this.
  20. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is a theory that ME onset can be linked to other viral insults . So a kind of double act . Previously coupled with polio, the jump in cases in 1980s could be linked with HIV ( I think Hanson or Klimas mentioned this recently) , the link with HHV 6 reactivation, previous SARS .
    It's something which may merit more digging into

janice, Hutan, MeSci and 3 others like this.