1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Twitter activity of Professor Blanchflower

Discussion in 'General Advocacy Discussions' started by Obermann, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You have to compare like with like to have any argument. There have been numerous redefinitions of " employment" which enable figures to be massaged. It is an apples and pears argument.

There has always been a difference in unemployed and " in work" , and the latter seems to have undergone various changes. Note that a lot of soundbites relate to being " in work" , not unemployed. People infer a simple relationship that is far more complex.

Sorry to take thread tangentially elsewhere but you are not considered unemployed if you do 1 hr/ fortnight ' s work and those that are not paid are still " employed" .

Zero hours contracts are particularly insidious as you can have zilch job security, no work.for periods of time( and no pay) yet your contract retains you as an employee .

Successive governments use redefinitions of terms to suit their agendas

An example of figure massaging

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/jan/15/employment-figures-how-unpaid-get-counted

It is a bit like the definition of poverty - it has been tweaked to the extent that it cannot be compared to past figures either

2. Obermann

Obermann Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I appreciate that figures such as unemployment can be defined in different ways, and that both Blanchflower’s and Guido Fawkes’s statements must be put in a political context. However, I think that we are way off topic now. I didn’t intend to make any political statement, neither left-wing nor right-wing. The question is whether a picture with the headline “100% wrong” can be used for satire.

chrisb and Amw66 like this.
  3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry - i' not a morning person ! Context not fully appreciated

Obermann likes this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Concerned troll is very concerned. Simple rule of the internet, do not feed the trolls. It's what they want. You can never win, so why waste time with such bad faith people?

6. Obermann

Obermann Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It reminds me of the comment by Nasim Marie Jafry on the dialogue between James David Chapman and Professor Danny Blanchflower. The Mutual Admiration Society in session ...

upload_2019-2-15_7-8-59.png

benji, dangermouse, rvallee and 6 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, JaimeS, Chezboo and 9 others like this.
  8. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Freudian slip there Rona?

ukxmrv, MEMarge, Arnie Pye and 9 others like this.
  9. benji

benji Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If there only was a way to troll them away.

10. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Whoooboy someone with the #MEAction logo as their icon on Twitter engaged with Chapman and got "please don't contact me ever again, MEAction!"

We contacted the original user and asked them not to use the logo (it was a well-meaning person) but too late.

More fuel for the harassment meme. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

11. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Scandal: Well-meaning person replies to tweet!

MEMarge, inox, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  12. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

siiiiiiiigh

MEMarge and inox like this.
  13. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't feel able to reread all the posts about Blanchflower. Was it ever mentioned that his work seems to be mentioned approvingly by Richard Layard. (I presume that all know of Layard's connection to the IAPT project.)

In 2005 Layard published the book Happiness: Lessons from a New Science, in which he emphasised the importance of non-income variables on aggregate happiness. His book summarises the prior empirical findings produced by economists such as Richard Easterlin, David G Blanchflower, Andrew E Clark, Rafael Di Tella, Robert MacCulloch, and Andrew Oswald. In particular he stressed the role of mental health and argued that psychological treatments ought to be much more widely available.

from Wikipedia

and in this
    eprints.lse.ac.uk/47440/1/Big%20ideas%20wellbeing%20and%20public%20policy%20%28lsero%29.pdf

Big Ideas: wellbeing and public policy. (2012)

It would seem that he has a dog in the fight.