1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trial By Error: My Latest Letter to Bristol’s Legal Department

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

http://www.virology.ws/2019/04/29/trial-by-error-my-latest-letter-to-bristols-legal-department/

MEMarge, TiredSam, James and 31 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Time to put up or shut up. They have been allowed to throw around accusations without evidence while whining that legitimate complaints about their work are vexatious despite being well-documented. All that despite having been scolded by a tribunal for making gross exaggerations. Enough of this crap.

Even following the PR whine fest both Sharpe and Wessely admitted the "trolling" accusations that are the core of the grievances are not really the problem, that it's legitimate complaints about the horrible quality of their research that is causing them trouble, and rightly so. This is completely ridiculous.

MEMarge, James, aza and 15 others like this.
  3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah - I found that list, especially the last few, to be very 'cutting'.

It will be interesting to see how, or if, they respond.

Which particular manner or deflection or obfuscation they will chose to employ this time.

MEMarge, MeSci, oldtimer and 8 others like this.
  4. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like

5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

This made my day.

6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And knowing there will be another year of squeezing them feels pretty good on top of this. They have been getting away with unethical behavior for far too long and this has to end, especially as they are working to further abuse children.

MEMarge, Starlight, James and 11 others like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think Bristol's silence says it all. They are profoundly aware I think, they have no answer that won't drop them into a huge dog pile, so they do they only thing they can think of doing ... dig in and stonewall. Ideally it needs some higher authority to force them out of that foxhole, compel them to talk. I suspect their lawyers all tell them to say nothing at all, for as long as they can get away with it. Silence speaks volumes.

8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a morbid curiosity over how they're planning to cover-up the problems with Crawley's work... and a sense of dread that they're going to completely get away with it.

MEMarge, Chezboo, alktipping and 11 others like this.
  9. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In UK science in this domain, it seems, anything is possible.

MEMarge, Chezboo, alktipping and 14 others like this.
  10. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In these situations the normal way is to home in on a scapegoat or two, who they can blame everything on and takes the flak so no one else gets seriously hit by it. Damage limitation. Ideally all culpable would be made liable. But if they really do manage to put it all on one person, then EC would be the right choice in my book, and in truth, from Bristol's perspective also I would think.

MEMarge, alktipping and 2kidswithME like this.
  11. Alvin

While i don't condone scapegoats if they stop promoting reality denying harmful treatments by blaming a scapegoat thats their business. I do care that they stop harming us.
    Once they pick a fall person they can spend the rest of their "careers" fighting over who is to blame but from the outside we already know its all of them. We will write the next chapter of ME history because we are not the reality deniers. I won't shed a tear if they end up before an ethics board or courtroom, in fact i hope they all do since they have a great deal to answer for and have escaped any culpability.

A legitimate court can assign blame as it sees fit.

MEMarge, alktipping and AR68 like this.
  12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"at least 11 studies have cited this letter, which appeared to have nothing to do with any of them."

a literal 'carte blanche' for Crawley.

13. Alvin

I seem to recall an instance of a journal citing every paper posted in it raising its entire impact factor by exactly 1. I forget if it won an IG Nobel prize or where i read about it.

alktipping likes this.
  14. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Feels as if we need to get the students of that august institution on our side. There must be someone whose partner or close family member is severely affected by ME, and therefore by the crap that Bristol puts out. Students are somewhat more openminded than senior academics on the whole...and pissing them off raises the prospect of hitting the university in the pocket!

MEMarge, Amw66, Esther12 and 3 others like this.