1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trial By Error: Bristol Investigating Crawley Papers

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

http://www.virology.ws/2019/01/31/trial-by-error-bristol-investigating-crawley-papers/

Webdog, ahimsa, alex3619 and 49 others like this.
  2. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Starlight, ahimsa, Lidia and 28 others like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"In other words, some of Professor Crawley’s work is now under formal scrutiny."
    about bl**** time.
    thanks to @dave30th tenacity

fivetowns, Lidia, JaimeS and 36 others like this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

If I was @dave30th senior person at Berkeley who had been asked by Bristol hierarchy to have a word with D I would be very tempted to give them a call back to ask if they need any help with their inquiry :whistle:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Lidia, Binkie4, andypants and 22 others like this.
  5. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great to hear but I wish it was a more independent investigation, it's like letting Volkswagen investigate whether they cheated emissions.

6. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have just got round to looking at the Health Research Authority's website (see https://www.hra.nhs.uk ). On their section on their governance the say:

The Board Members are Dr Allison Jeynes-Ellis, Dr Janet Messer, Graham Clarke, Ian Cook, Juliet Tizzard, Karen Williams, Orof Deirdre Kelly, Prof Sir JonThan Montgomery and Teresa Allen (those with science or medical backgrounds seem to come from pharmacology, biochemistry or very much biomedical backgrounds, see https://www.hra.nhs.uk/about-us/who-we-are/our-board-members/ ). They don't seem to list the volunteers that sit on their Research Ethics Committees (see https://www.hra.nhs.uk/about-us/committees-and-services/res-and-recs/ ) So far I have not found anything on their site relating to research malpractice in published studies.

Barry, Binkie4, andypants and 12 others like this.
  7. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

*Puts more coins in the piggy bank ready to donate if @dave30th crowdfunds for another year*

Webdog, Ron, Sean and 33 others like this.
  8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh please ... !!!

ETA: Maybe she meant cognitive systems?

9. Barry

Hopefully "investigation" is not simply evasive speak for *rse covering rearranging of deck chairs.

10. Peter Trewhitt

It may be a useful exercise to go through the HRA's research summaries relating to ME, ME/CFS, etc by searching on their Research Summaries page (see https://www.hra.nhs.uk/planning-and-improving-research/application-summaries/research-summaries/ ), I found 61 summaries for CFS and 58 for ME/CFS, but will need to return to this when I am more on the ball.

Their procedures for 'feedback or concerns' seems to relate primarily to researchers rather than third parties (see https://www.hra.nhs.uk/about-us/governance/feedback-raising-concerns/ ), which is perhaps not surprising given the status quo in the UK is not set up to take into account third party or patient input, but are there matters we at S4ME, individually or collectively would want to raise with them?

It will be interesting to see how proactive they will be in relation to this Bristol debacle, whether their raising the current issues with Bristol came from a real understanding or some form of 'going through the motions'.

andypants, Ron, JemPD and 9 others like this.
  11. Barry

As in wading through bullshit? ;)

12. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

It is. I remember when someone complained about the ethical approval given to one of Crawley's trials one of the things she quotes in terms of harm is the cochrane meta analysis for GET. But the quote she gives is misleading because it doesn't contain the caveat around very little data being available and she quotes the number of patients within all the trials they looked at rather than the number in trials with some form of harms reporting. When a researcher gives misleading evidence to the ethics committees we can be sure she will do the same for an internal private inquiry.

The Vice chancellor for Bristol is also implicated in the ethical issues since he has failed to investigate in the past instead preferring to put pressure on Berkeley to try to shut @dave30th up. So the university really needs to be investigated externally and publicly.

13. Peter Trewhitt

andypants, Hutan, Ron and 8 others like this.
  14. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did someone check the local planning department at Alpha Centauri?

Arnie Pye, fivetowns, Webdog and 16 others like this.
  15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Considering the issues raised all fall within the bounds of BMJ's own rules and guidelines, this is most definitely not something that anyone should understand, or even find reasonable. There are no known extenuating circumstances, in fact it is utterly bizarre to raise this. Coming from a lower-level employee, sure, but coming from the editor this seems to suggest external interference.

Why does everything Crawley publish need so much institutional water-carrying? Why is there any happening at all? Scientific journals are supposed to be arbiters of research, not cheerleaders and enforcers. If this continues it will eventually raise fundamental problems within the whole of UK medical institutions.

Arnie Pye, Webdog, Sean and 15 others like this.
  16. Liessa

Liessa Established Member (Voting Rights)

Seems like the strategy is stretching this into infinity. Ignore it for as long as you can, throw in a "yea yea we're on it, you must understand our difficulties" rinse, repeat. Good thing @dave30th is tenacious :thumbup:

Webdog, JaimeS, Ron and 20 others like this.
  17. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are matters beyond our immediate control that make this challenging as I am sure you understand

My impression is that David, and perhaps the rest of us, is supposed to have some insight into these matters outside control. Perhaps there is something unusual going on that is supposed to be discreetly in public circulation (if that makes sense). It is all pretty peculiar, certainly.

But it is hard to see what takes precedence over the interests of the patient community, and scientific probity as a whole.

JaneL, Webdog, Starlight and 30 others like this.
  18. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it clear what is meant by "our"? If it means the editorial staff, the problem could be the proprietors. If it means the company then it is hard to see. One would have thought any comments could be framed in such a way as to avoid any legal threats. It seems to imply "force majeure".

EzzieD, andypants, Ron and 4 others like this.
  19. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To put it simply it seems to me most likely to mean either:

1. You-will-know-who is breathing down our neck
    2. Dr Crawley is ill

The former makes more sense. But it doesn't wash.

oldtimer, Barry, EzzieD and 12 others like this.
  20. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

“But the plans were on display…”
    “On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
    “That’s the display department.”
    “With a flashlight.”
    “Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
    “So had the stairs.”
    “But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
    “Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard'. Ever thought of going into advertising?"