1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trial By Error: Bristol’s Complaint to Berkeley [Short Tuller blog 23rd December 2017]

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Esther12, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

It does look pretty dodgy though when questions of Bristol University having ethical permission to carry out a trial rather than investigating they put pressure on the institution that the journalist who raised the questions comes from to shut him up. It fails the headline test which is a good way to judge ethics (i.e. if you wouldn't be able to defend the actions if they were represented in a headline don't do them).

ukxmrv, ladycatlover, Viola and 13 others like this.
  2. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And that no one will listen to the criticism anyway

ladycatlover, Inara, Barry and 6 others like this.
  3. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This whole anonymous business is meant to distract us and keep us busy.

4. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I knew there would be a good reason ;). I guess the "ethics" is about protecting the investigators :rolleyes:.

5. Barry

Like strychnine then.

Edit: I see @Alvin beat me to it.

6. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is anonymity more important than safety? Isn't an ethics commitee's job to oversee if a trial is safe, doesn't contain criminal acts and so forth? So, could a researcher torture trial participants if it's anonymous? Sounds absurd.

Barry, ladycatlover, Viola and 5 others like this.
  7. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have been rather puzzled to receive the following from Dr. Marc-Alexander Fluks via an M.E. group:

"Berkely Uni back David Tuller, confirm he has done nothing wrong
    > http://www.virology.ws/2017/12/23/trial-by-error-bristols-complaint-to-berkeley/

This is in fact bad news. It is not about whether or not patients like or dislike the work of Esther Crawley, it is about the cyberstalking of David Tuller damaging the reputation of PWCs."

He's also referred to James Coyne as a cyberstalker and says that his webpages at a couple of universities have been deleted.

Woolie, Barry, Joh and 8 others like this.
  8. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Eh? Well, I suppose if not answering his (reasonable) questions, then accusing him of libel, pretending to have sent him legal letters to cease and desist (from being entirely reasonable & doing his job) and finally trying to get his university to rein him in doesn't work......let's get someone to try to ruin his reputation with the patients.

At what point do you think it will occur to them, if ever, to just engage with reality?

9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When Fluks came up in another thread here I did a google, and found some very odd stuff from him, eg: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.med.cfs/xMjK9GbxzVM

It wouldn't surprise me if some universities were distancing themselves from Coyne after some of his comments on social media over the last couple of years.

Woolie, Barry, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I've tried looking up Fluks too. He seems to recommend aerobic exercise for ME. And there's all sorts of odd stuff too. Someone of that name is an astronomer. No idea if it's the same person.

I guess he's decided anyone who challenges GET based therapies is a cyberstalker, hence Tuller and Coyne being thus labelled.

Best ignored.

Edited to remove 2 unnecessary words.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Woolie, Barry, Moosie and 8 others like this.
  11. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

Questioning and refuting lies = cyberstalking? They're simply taking the logical fallacy of tone-policing to a new level, and Fluks needs to stop slandering people by accusing them of crimes or other misdeeds. Ironically, doing such slandering online makes Fluks a much more likely candidate for being labeled a cyberstalker than David Tuller.

I suspect there's also a substantial objection to scientific discussion taking place on the internet at all - the doctors have lost control of the masses in the online society. Doctors who appreciate science and discussion have no problem with that, but the ones who rely upon establishing their authority in the form of letters after their names might be more upset about the situation.

Arnie Pye, Woolie, Moosie and 9 others like this.
  12. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

That thread would make me worry about his mental health sounds very like the type of incoherent letters written by someone I know with severe issues.

Woolie, Barry, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  13. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's very strange, as he sometimes posts info that I post here (I think) - perfectly lucid.

Woolie, MEMarge and ladycatlover like this.
  14. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He is the same person, he's a Doctor of Astronomy, though he doesn't make that clear in his posts! ISTR he posted on Co-Cure before he got his doctorate.

15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Does he have ME? And if so, why on earth is he recommending GET and criticising Tuller? Or is he a chum of the BPS lot trolling us?

Edit to add: I know we have a rule of not questioning the motives of members posting here. Since he is not a member, but someone who seems to be working against us elsewhere, I assume it's OK to question his motives.

ladycatlover, Allele, Barry and 3 others like this.
  16. Esther12

To me, it looks like Fluks is posting some stuff that is too odd to try to explain.

ladycatlover, Woolie, Barry and 4 others like this.
  17. large donner

large donner Guest

Questioning and refuting lies is cyberstalking. Whereas just copying and pasting press releases is journalism.

18. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He seems to have severe mental issues and posts very strange things about numerology and medieval type alchemy stuff. He will talk about a drug or something then say the chemical symbol is like the symbol for mercury so it means it is a trap set by people who want to take over the world or something like that.

It could be something to do with Tuller's initials that have set him off, no reasoning behind it.

ladycatlover, Woolie, Barry and 3 others like this.
  19. Esther12

20. Barry

I agree with others that some of Fluks' writings suggest he might be somewhat unwell/unhinged, and probably little point/need us getting caught up in it. If his advocacy is indicative of what the BPS brigade now need to rely on ... :rolleyes:.