1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trial By Error: Bristol’s Complaint to Berkeley [Short Tuller blog 23rd December 2017]

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Esther12, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

AndyPandy, Inara, Sean and 32 others like this.
  2. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The farce continues...
    Bristol's house of cards is surprisingly resilient :emoji_face_palm:

Inara, Moosie, Viola and 11 others like this.
  3. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[Warning: Nerdom ahead!]

I have a feeling that Bristol's complaint to Berkeley went something like General Trelane's complaint to Kirk about Spock's actions in "The Squire of Gothos" episode of Star Trek.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    Inara, large donner, Barry and 19 others like this.
  4. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

At the end of the article he refers to a COPE document

https://publicationethics.org/files/u7140/COPE Forum Agenda and materials 13_11_17_FINAL_2.pdf

which I though summarised the issue of having no ethical permission for trialling service innovations in a very poor way that is unlikely to give the committee the necessary information to understand the issue. Instead it seemed to be trying to protect the BMJ from Tuller's criticism.

These are the questions they ask:
    It annoys me that they label something as controversial and then seem to suggest that lesser standards should apply because of that. If something is controversial they should be very careful as issues will be picked up.

The question they should be debating is does an assessment of a new service element count as a "service evaluation" or research. How should journals treat it and where are the boundaries.

Inara, Barry, Viola and 12 others like this.
  5. Esther12

That's pretty annoying.

How are they claiming that research project was a 'service evaluation'? There was no service to evaluate outside of the research project.

"How should journals respond to blog posts that they feel portray them unfairly and are
    damaging to the publisher's reputation?"

Engage in debate? Present evidence? Get to the truth? Realise that your feelings don't matter if you can't support your concerns with worthwhile arguments!

Inara, MEMarge, Robert 1973 and 17 others like this.
  6. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Interesting. I hadn't seen that COPE before. I was particularly struck by this line:

In addition, the data were collected anonymously, which would further exempt the study from requiring formal ethical approval.

Am I correct that here Crawley is claiming dispensation from gaining further ethical clearance because the data were collected anonymously?

Inara, MEMarge, Trish and 9 others like this.
  7. Esther12

It's hard to say from that, but it looks like it could have implications for your request for anonymised data.

The trouble is, it makes no sense. How can data be collected anonymously when it involved a clinical assessment? Data from this personal assessments can be anonymised, but it clearly was not collected anonymously.

Inara, MEMarge, Snow Leopard and 11 others like this.
  8. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Yes, that's what struck me. But it is strangely worded, as so much about this trial is. I think I'll still use it. I presume she is saying that data as collected are anonymous. Or something.

Inara, MEMarge, Trish and 10 others like this.
  9. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The data was collected by a random bloke off the street who nobody knew.

I can haz ethiculz approvals now?

Inara, Missense, BurnA and 17 others like this.
  10. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That made me laugh out loud! Deserved a cat added.

21n6em.jpg

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    ukxmrv, Inara, Missense and 22 others like this.
  11. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So why does anonymous data collection mean no ethics approval needed? Although the scope of ethics issues to be considered may have reduced, it surely cannot have dropped to zero?! Does ethics approval only consider the issues of protecting participants privacy rights, or does/should it consider the many other ethical issues?

Viola, MeSci, Inara and 13 others like this.
  12. large donner

large donner Guest

Cos the LP cannot be harmful if they change your name to patient A from Fred Smith.

ukxmrv, ladycatlover, Viola and 12 others like this.
  13. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As she keeps persisting in.. well.. anything at all really, I propose EC conducts life with a bag on her head. The more anonymous she is the better :bag:

edit changed 'her research' to 'life'. (can't remember how to cross words out)

ladycatlover, Inara, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  14. Alvin

If only all that power were used for good instead of evil...

But then she would not be able to supercharge her reputation for good science :laugh:

ukxmrv, ladycatlover, Inara and 7 others like this.
  15. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In Norway I've seen the argumentation that IF LP has been harmful to anyone, it proves LP has side effects, thus meaning it has effect, which surely must be a good thing :confused:

ladycatlover, Viola, Forbin and 13 others like this.
  16. Alvin

My response would have been that cyanide also has side effects, which is very bad thing if your the victim :emoji_face_palm:

ladycatlover, Viola, Inara and 11 others like this.
  17. Adrian

I think their claim would be that the data is collected by the service and then handed over to researchers in an anonymised form. What this fails to mention is that the researchers are testing an extension to an existing service rather than evaluating a current one. They are trying to suggest that the researchers were not involved with the 'service' which is just misleading.

ukxmrv, ladycatlover, Viola and 11 others like this.
  18. Esther12

Tuller reported Crawley having some direct involvement in the assessment of participants anyway:

http://www.virology.ws/2017/08/28/trial-by-error-no-ethical-review-of-crawley-school-absence-study/

ladycatlover, Inara, Barry and 6 others like this.
  19. Adrian

ladycatlover, Inara, Barry and 8 others like this.
  20. Esther12

LOL - that would be super tenuous! Hopefully we'll get more from them on the record. I expect that they'll just try to be utterly evasive in the expectation that no-one with power will care, and those who do pay attention couldn't think less of them anyway.

ladycatlover, Barry, Trish and 7 others like this.