1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trial By Error: A Letter to Archives of Disease in Childhood

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Daisymay, Jan 30, 2018.

1. MountainMonkey

MountainMonkey Established Member

Thanks to all the signatories!

ladycatlover, Joh, Inara and 6 others like this.
  2. MountainMonkey

MountainMonkey Established Member

:rofl::rofl:

3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've been thinking that it could be worth trying to get some investigation into these systems that have failed to provide effective oversight. I rather doubt that there are appropriate systems in place for assessing a complaint though, and it could backfire.

4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This really needs widestream dissemination- particularly given the story from NE Scotland. EC will travel if GP asks

5. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, dear. Does this mean that this trial is going to be another one of those "beautiful ocean liner" things?

This time with the good ship "SMILE" ?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  6. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For interest, here is the complaint made by Professor Hooper to the head of the National Research Ethics Service regarding PACE and the second link covers their response:

"On 1st March 2010 Professor Malcolm Hooper lodged a complaint with the Head of the National Research Ethics Service (NRES) – formerly the Central Office for Research Ethics Committees (COREC) which on 1st April 2007 became NRES -- about the apparent failure of the West Midlands Multicentre Research Ethics Committee (West Midlands MREC) to fulfil its obligations before granting ethical approval for the MRC PACE Trial on the grounds that it failed to adhere to Section 9.7 of the Governance arrangements for NHS Research Ethics Committees (2001) which were in place at the time it granted ethical approval for the MRC PACE Trial."

http://www.margaretwilliams.me/2010/mrec-complaint.pdf

http://www.margaretwilliams.me/2010/NRES-response.pdf

Catalogue of articles by Margaret Williams and Professor Hooper etc. 1994-2017
    www.margaretwilliams.me

7. Esther12

Thanks. A shame it's just excerpts from the full response as it makes it difficult for anyone to cite.

8. Daisymay

I'll ask and see if it would be possible to get access to the whole thing, might take a day or two to get back to you with an answer.

9. Daisymay

Esther, the whole letter is now available at the end of the article "Response from the National Patient Safety Agency to Complaint about the PACE Trial", just scroll down to below the article and you'll see it:

http://www.margaretwilliams.me/2010/NRES-response.pdf

10. Esther12

Thanks for all involved in releasing that.

It's also interesting for seeing how RECs work, as I don't know much about that. At the time there was no appeal process for REC decisions (which is something people have been considering with regards to SMILE/Crawley/etc issues.

There being no mechanism for others to make complaints seems particularly problematic if RECs have no power to investigate. What a ridiculous system. I wonder if it's still like that?

I thought I'd also link to this thread I'd started on that letter's author's (Janet Wisely) work with the National Research and Ethics Advisory Panel:

https://www.s4me.info/threads/janet...f-their-discussions-included.1770/#post-30638

11. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I so much wish such things would happen in Germany. For me, it was moving to see all that signatures. Thanks to all who contributed!

12. guest001

guest001 Guest

Milo, sea, Solstice and 21 others like this.
  13. Daisymay

14. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ignore it :(

15. guest001

guest001 Guest

I'm wondering that too. She's going to need a 'Bobby in the shower' history-rewrite isn't she? ;)

16. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thats an interesting idea, you should submit it for consideration

18. guest001

guest001 Guest

Maybe the 'Givers Short Prize' ...as in being comparable to the John Maddox in being named after a (suitably jumbled & 'confused' ) journal editor.

19. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Not everyone called Trish is perfect then?

20. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But of course our one is ;).