1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Treating patients suffering from myalgic encephalopathy/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) with sodium dichloroacetate, Comhaire 2018

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Indigophoton, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @Woolie for this fantastic post! I agree an extra discussion would be interestinbg (new thread). You put so clearly into words what I think for a long time: "In a word, it's a mess."

Woolie, adambeyoncelowe and lycaena like this.
  2. ME/CFS

ME/CFS Established Member (Voting Rights)

citation from the manual of the MedCalc programme (Schoonjans, MedCalc Ltd. Ostend, Belgium):
    "The goal of logistic regression is to find the best fitting (yet biologically reasonable) model to describe the relationship between the dichotomous charateristic of interest (dependent variable=response or outcome variable) and a set of independent (predictor or explanatory) variables. Logistic regression generates the coefficient (and its standard errors and significance levels) of a formula to predict a logit transformation of the probability of presence of the characteristic of interest.

Inara likes this.
  3. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think its something to do with the maximum likelihood optimization over what are assumed to be probabilities using the cost function:
    J(θ)=−∑i(y(i)log(hθ(x(i)))+(1−y(i))log(1−hθ(x(i))))
    With y(i) being the target ith training sample and x(i) being the input for the ith training example and hθ being the function that is being optimized (with θ being the weights). Given its a class being fitted with y(i) being either 0 or 1 then the idea is this is the conditional probability of y|x. But I've not really understood yet. There is a tutorial from Andrew Ng at Stanford (regression then logistic regression) who does some excellent tutorials (and coursera courses) on machine learning.
    http://cs229.stanford.edu/notes/cs229-notes1.pdf

It feels like there needs to be something around sample theory as well. Which is my objection to this work. If you take a small sample and use that to derive a model then basically you will pick up on random features within your training set. So you need to know that the data you train on is in someway representative of all the set of data otherwise features in your predictor variables that easily minimize error but just for that given data set can be picked up on. Normally a model would be tested against a separate data set or the training set is split into portions and a cross validation technique is used (averaging error on say 4/5 used for training and 1/5th used for testing over all the different combinations). But I don't think this has been done in this case (but I'm happy to be corrected and this is one of the methodological issues I have with this work).

I think when doing significance tests on a trained model against the data it was trained on you will just get something about how well the model fits the data it has been trained on which should be good (unless the function being learned is more complex than the model and the training data sufficiently captures that relationship).

[Edit]

It looks like given the optimization performed the outputs are probabilities given the training set. I still don't get the intuition but I may eventually.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Inara likes this.
  4. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

So the impression I get from your paper (which could be wrong I only read it quickly) is that you gave a supplement to a number of patients with a disease that is varies over time and then sorted the patients into those who improved in a given time period and those who didn't. It seems hard to draw a conclusion about that given there is no control arm. It could be that this just represents the expected number of improvers with no treatment without a control we don't know.

But then you take a set of features that describe the patients such as answers to the fatigue scale and then you fit a model on all the data you have to claim that you can classify which will respond and which don't. This doesn't test a hypothesis further than saying you can fit a logistic regression model to a given data set. It says nothing about how the model generalities to unseen cases. To me (as someone who has done and is getting back to doing research in machine learning) this doesn't say anything about your data and it seems methodologically strange.

Then you seem to be making very positive claims about the supplements and the model. If you were saying that you think the results were positive and worth a blinded trial then I would agree.

That is why I'm concerned. But have I read the paper wrongly, did you have a control group? did you test your model on unseen data?

[added]
    Currently it feels like hype without sufficient justification for the hype.

5. ME/CFS

ME/CFS Established Member (Voting Rights)

The hype is not created by me. This is a preliminary, proof-of-principle, pilot pragmatic trial, as the title says, and it is published in a Journal called "medical hypotheses". The finding that pre-treatment characteristics seemingly can differentiate between patients who did and those who did not respond to sodium dichloroactetate is an interesting observation. It may suggest that the mechansim involved in the pathogenesis of the disease is different. Please stop speculating on things that are not in the paper, en please read the paper attentively and completely before criticising!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    sb4 likes this.
  6. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

That's not a very specific reference - "please see the internet"!

The reaction of the body to what?

That's exactly what the PACE authors say - have you read the paper? If you have and you still have any questions, you obviously didn't read it properly, so read it again.

adambeyoncelowe, Trish and Wonko like this.
  7. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

This conversation sure has been great to read. We should preserve it as a sort 'S4ME moment'.

8. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If someone wants to upload it to the internet archive...

adambeyoncelowe likes this.
  9. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I came into this thread intrigued about the findings, even though questionnaires are terrible for assessing physical function alone. After reading the author`s comments I`m very confident that there is nothing here.

10. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I wonder how much of that was people on this forum downloading it...

12. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What happened to this was it any good

13. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In short, no.

14. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An evergreen response. :grumpy:

Hutan, wastwater and adambeyoncelowe like this.