Towards a critical psychology of chronic fatigue syndrome: Biopsychosocial narratives and UK welfare reform, 2022, Hunt

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Dolphin, rvallee, John Mac and 10 others like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a strong sense of deja vu reading this article. Presumably there was a pre publication version or an earlier text available. I assume it was discussed here, but have not found the relevant thread yet (unfortunately I struggling with finding things like this). It is useful having published articles dealing with the history of the hijacking of ME as CFS in the UK, including what Doctors with ME might refer to as ‘regulatory capture’.

Here is the final paragraph:

I don’t recall the version I previously read referring to Long Covid, but that may relate to my memory issues.

3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I presume that the srticle was severely constrained by some necessary word-count. It has a fairly arbitrary starting point. The most significant matter always seemed to be Peter Lilley's sudden and bizarre decision to bring John LoCascio from UNUM to the DWP. He needs to be qustioned about that before he fades away completely. Aylward did not seem unduly hostile before that event.

The Aylward/Waddell model was not new. There was a parallel movement in the US from which Waddell appeared to borrow. If he was unaware of that, he should not have been.

alktipping, DokaGirl, ukxmrv and 4 others like this.
  4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dolphin, alktipping, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Jo Hunt was lead author on this recent paper discussed on this thread:
    Long Covid at the crossroads: Comparisons and lessons from the treatment of patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS)
    Joanne Hunt, Charlotte Blease, Keith J Geraghty First Published March 27, 2022

that included a section covering the same issues headed 'Socio-political dimensions of illness' covering some of the same material.