Times: NHS plan to help millions stop using antidepressants and painkillers

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Shadrach Loom, Mar 2, 2023.

1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sadly there will be much suffering before change is viable .

Seems to be a UK general proforma at the moment

2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I only caught the end of this Panorama prog last night

"The Antidepressant Story
    Panorama
    Panorama examines whether the current generation of antidepressant drugs have lived up to their promises, following patients who have suffered serious side effects."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001n39z

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I noticed that the UK college of psychiatrists tweeted about this, saying how every AD prescription must be a joint decision between physician and a patient who is well-informed of the evidence, risks and benefits of AD.

Now I'm not in the UK but medicine in Canada is largely the same. I was prescribed many, many antidepressants, antianxiolytics and other psychoactive drugs over the years. Only once by a psychiatrist. I was never once told any such thing. Not once. Not about side-effects. Or about their effectiveness. Or withdrawals. Or anything, really. Just the usual spiel about chemical imbalance, or something like that. Despite the common lie that the model was never really taken seriously. Which of course it was, and still is. We even moved from chemical imbalance to network imbalance. Something's out of balance, it's just not biological since it has to be psychosocial. Or something.

Of course people are free to research this themselves, to "do their own research" and bring their concerns to their physicians. Likely after having started. Only to be scolded not to read too much on the Internet. There is often strong pushback over anyone saying those things, which the professional associations somehow claim the patients should be warned about, but almost never are.

This is really a constant major issue in psychiatry: the huge difference between models and reality. Psychiatry makes sense in writing and in theory. Sometimes. In practice, though, it's too often reckless because by definition the patients' subjective experiences aren't trusted. Even though that's basically all they usually have to work with.

Solstice, Ariel, Sean and 4 others like this.
  4. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It’s quite concerning that GPs are allowed to hand out psychotropic medications. GPs don’t know anything.

5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I always thought that particular phrase was such a glaring lie, I couldn't understand how it lasted as long as it did? Does anybody, doctor or patient, still believe it?

If anyone was to use such a phrase with me now I would want to know which chemicals in my brain they actually measured, when they did it (the measuring) without telling me, and what the results were.

bobbler, Ariel, Helene and 2 others like this.
  6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Antidepressant Manufacturers Claim Independent Evidence of Effectiveness But From NHS Talking Therapies A Deafening Silence

Antidepressant Manufacturers Claim Independent Evidence of Effectiveness But From NHS Talking Therapies A Deafening Silence - CBT Watch

Sean, Lou B Lou, Trish and 2 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh it never died. I recently saw an article about a new class of SSRIs. They're still very much in on the chemical imbalance, still desperately holding on to the serotonin thing. Depending on who asks, when you ask, who is in the room, and so on.

bobbler, Lou B Lou, Wonko and 2 others like this.