1. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 16th November 2020 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, NICE have published their draft guideline for ME/CFS, click here to read about it.
    Dismiss Notice

TIME FOR A PROFESSIONAL RETHINK ON ME : Your heart is as important as your head - blog by Jane Colby

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Andy, May 12, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member & Outreach

https://uttingwolffspouts.com/2018/05/12/when-children-dont-get-well/

2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is so very true. I do not have ME, my wife does, so I can never have true empathetic insight into what it is like for her, just an approximation. At best I have insight at a more intellectual level in my mind, of what it must be like for her. It is a huge (and unfortunately very natural) human trait to presume we understand why someone should have acted the way we think they should have, rather than how they actually did. We only 'understand' their very particular circumstance from our own perspective, which often lacks the very personal and individual experiences that shaped the individual's own perspective. As the saying goes "Do not judge someone without walking a mile in their shoes". Gaining insight into another person's perspective is all too easy to presume, and immensely hard to achieve.

3. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But you try @Barry and that means so much.
    Your comments are extremely sensitive.

4. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you :).

5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Wonderful blog. I have forwarded it to a friend who works as a counsellor in a secondary school in the hope that it gets circulated to her colleagues. Attitudes in schools must change.

My son was repeatedly bullied by a school administrator who did not believe he was sick. She made him sit in her office rather than be allowed to go home ill.

The irony of it all was that my son, who pre-illness loved school (and does now), was actually rather shaken by the nastiness of that school administrator. And it was his comments about this experience together with how he felt when at school (dizzy, sick, weak, overwhelmed by the noise) that seemed to enable a child psychologist to diagnose conversion disorder and school phobia. She encouraged my son to stop home schooling and return to school full-time which caused a serious relapse that probably set back his recovery by two years.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It is an excellent article, and I hope will be circulated widely among professionals with education for children with ME. A valuable resource for parents to use in their dealings with schools too.

Barry, Hutan, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  7. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is revealing when one discovers the history of those whose judgment one trusts on the subject of ME. Strange that they all turn out to be people the "experts" would have us believe cannot be relied on.