1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Threats, cyber-bullying now targeting scientists who study Chronic Fatigue Syndrome… when will free speech about science be allowed to exist again?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by rvallee, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

What a ridiculous article. Not even sure it's worth @dave30th bothering asking for a correction to the complete garbled nonsense written about him.

Cheshire, DokaGirl and Barry like this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@DokaGirl In years gone by, before there was a treatment for thyroid disease, sufferers usually ended up in asylums. :(

3. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was prescribed art therapy for a year luckily I discharged myself and went for thyroxine

sebaaa, EzzieD, Skycloud and 6 others like this.
  4. Three Chord Monty

Three Chord Monty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This was their reaction to the XMRV study in Science, a few days after it was published when this was, let's just say, an extreme reaction.

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 8.48.16 PM.png

rvallee likes this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, no. NaturalNews is a fake news site. They don't even pretend either. It's mostly screeching and conspiracy stuff.

sebaaa, Sisyphus, EzzieD and 4 others like this.
  6. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi @Arnie Pye

If one stops thyroid medications (in this case dessicated thyroid), how long does it take for it to leave one's system?

When would this medication stop effecting lab tests? I've read about 4 to 5 weeks, but am not sure.

I seem to recall a doctor telling me 10 days or so, when he tried a different thyroid protocol for me - several years ago, but the ME memory could be very off on that.

Thanks!:)

7. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exogenous T3 stops affecting blood test results of Total or Free T3 within about 24 hours. T4 (Total or Free) can affect test results for much longer - a week or so, but by the end of that time the levels in blood which originated from any exogenous treatment would be very low indeed. If the person concerned still has a thyroid which can produce thyroid hormones then it will be adding something to the levels.

The one that takes a long time to change is TSH. For example, someone who went through a long period of untreated Graves' Disease (hyperthyroidism) would have a very low TSH. In some cases it could take months or a year or more for TSH in that patient to start responding accurately. The longer a person has been untreated for hyperthyroidism the longer their TSH will take to recover and be produced in appropriate quantities. In some cases TSH never responds appropriately again and continues to stay very low. In someone with hypothyroidism who is over-treated for a long time the same problem of long-term low TSH can occur.

Regarding TSH, the only short-term thing people can do to affect it is try to have blood tests as early in the morning as possible, because TSH production has a circadian rhythm. Greatest output is during the night, but surgeries don't do blood testing in the middle of the night, so the best people can do is to arrange testing for as early in the morning as possible, and by 9am at the latest. See the graphs on page 2 of this paper :

http://www.reboundhealth.com/cms/im...yronine has a distinct circadian id 18123.pdf

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

8. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But very profitable. The site owner made their fortune originally be designing email spam software.

9. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I didn't know where to put this but wanted to share: These days I follow a few researchers and doctors who are very pro-vaccine and appear frequently in Hungarian media talking about covid. I'm also a member of a heavily moderated FB group where a group of doctors answer questions, mostly in connection with covid and/or the vaccines.

And they do get death threats from anti-vaxxers and covid deniers. In the FB group, 2-3 doctors chose not to use their real names and photos because they work at covid wards and a couple of death threats were directed at them (and their families). A scientist I follow sometimes gets threats on his FB page - this is something I saw with my own eyes and the people who posted them didn't even hide their identity, they absolutely looked like real profiles. He also posted a threat that he received in a (relatively long) message. The messages and comments I have seen were definitely threats, there is no question about it. Usually they are something like: "you should (alternatively: will) all be hanged, you commit crimes against humanity, you murderers / stay away from the unvaccinated if your life is precious or something might even happen to you etc", so pretty horrible stuff.

So I thought it was worth noting for comparison. In this case, you really don't have to look too hard if you want to find actual examples. :emoji_shrug:

Barry, Sean, sebaaa and 7 others like this.
  10. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A family doctor in my city who organized mass COVID-19 vaccination clinics earlier this year received death threats and she is asking Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to do more to protect health-care workers facing similar risks.

She was very pro-active on Twitter, and now literally afraid to walk outside of her office and home, even in broad daylight.

Barry, Sean, sebaaa and 4 others like this.