1. Guest, the 'News in Brief' post for w/c 11th Feb is here.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on AMPS—psychosomatizing?

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by OhShoot, Aug 7, 2018.

1. OhShoot

OhShoot Established Member

I was introduced to a diagnosis today that I found a bit disturbing. It’s called Amplified Musculoskeletal Pain Syndrome, and the chatter around it reminds me of GET and the like—symptoms seem disproportionate, exercising through the pain won’t harm you, fear of movement, the pain is bad because you give in to it, central sensitization, etc.

Link 1

Link 2

Basically they try to flood your brain so it desensitizes to the pain. My doctor found it inhumane. And while some of the concepts seem reasonable in theory, the approach sets off a lot of red flags.

So I was wondering if any of you had heard of this before, knew how it was developed, or knew who it was associated with.

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I just got home from an appointment, and the brain fog is bad with this one.

2. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Frightening how they dress up medical torture as treatment.

Especially this: "Those children who are unable to work through their AMPS pain and restore function over time with an outpatient treatment plan may require a therapeutic hospital treatment program for AMPS."

Inara, Hutan and OhShoot like this.
  3. OhShoot

YES. I believe I also read something about taking away pain medication being part of the “treatment”.

Inara likes this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is awful! I haven't trusted the medical profession on the subject of pain for about 45 years, and it looks as though nothing ever changes in their attitudes. This sounds like institutionalised torture!

5. OhShoot

Ah, I’ve found something else, and it’s solidly linking this to the psychosomatic school. I swear I’ve read this article before, too.

Have pain? Are you crazy?

I’m going to compile some info to send to my doctor, because I think she’ll be very receptive. She’s just unaware of the politics surrounding things like this.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Arnie Pye, Inara, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  6. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That was an interesting article, thanks @OhShoot for linking.

What I found also interesting was this comment by King (mentioned in the article) about the new "illness" somatic symptom disorder in DSM-V:
    https://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.f1580/rr/638285

Reminds me of MUS, BDD, BDS and the like - they all sound so similar. What a confused mess.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018