(Thesis) Cognitive behaviour therapy for chronic fatigue syndrome Long-term follow-up and Internet-based treatment, 2020, Janse

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, May 26, 2020.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://hdl.handle.net/11245.1/1d69c537-8d30-4f1f-b59d-ef9be0a6ef8e
    Downloads

Barry, Webdog, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  2. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3+ years of work wasted on a wrong assumption.

When a diagnostic biomarker is found, should all the PhD and Masters thesis on GET/CBT and ME be voided and the degrees of their authors stripped?

Atle, Jaybee00, alktipping and 14 others like this.
  3. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

those first couple of sentences in the abstract couldn't be more wrong. this looks like master's-level work at best, but I think it's PhD.

:banghead:

4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

figures

5. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They are also co-authors of the 6 articles that constitute the thesis.

1st article:

Anthonie Janse, Stephanie Nikolaus, Jan F. Wiborg, Marianne Heins, Jos W.M. van der Meer, Gijs Bleijenberg, Marcia Tummers, Jos Twisk, Hans Knoop, Long-term follow-up after cognitive behaviour therapy for chronic fatigue syndrome,
    Journal of Psychosomatic Research, Volume 97, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2017.03.016.

1st article's abstract:
    The thesis cover:

6. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ME is an adverse reaction to exercise or exertion not merely fatigue. I don't think it's fair to call this a trial for ME patients.

Imagine if they redefined cancer as 6 months of fatigue, re-branded it as CFS/Cancer and then claimed that CBT and exercise were the best evidenced-based treatments for cancer. Any one who objects is doing so due to the stigma of mental health and is guilty of stigmatizing those with mental health problems. Oh and CFS/Cancer activists are anti science.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    wdb, alktipping, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Completely clueless and incompetent. That it's acceptable to just make up your own redefinition of something is beyond absurd.
    Decades later, after years of clinical practice, it remains stuck at the starting line, nothing but assumptions about things that can be. True enough. Gotta give credit for that. It's just absurd that this is an acceptable standard, that millions of lives are written off on nothing but the assumptions of ignorant quacks.

Not worth reading through this. All questionnaire based, the abstracts make it clear those are not valid cohorts and no one competent about ME is involved. Pointless waste of everything. This isn't a serious effort.

I'd say I feel sorry for this student but if they can't see through blatant pseudoscience it's probably for the best that they set their career on a path for failure.

EzzieD, Atle, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  8. spinoza577

spinoza577 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kind of free time.

If I would be them and had time to investigate, I would put my honest imagination and fantasy into it. A play with possibilities, as every scientist would like to enjoy, but its every time the same noisy anything.

Its even more clueless than incompetent.

alktipping likes this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Spare therapist time can be reduced with internet CBT.

So what does that mean exactly? All the glitches on the software mean the therapist has no spare time anymore?

Or is it that you don't need so many spare therapists?

EzzieD, alktipping, Grigor and 2 others like this.
  10. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

so when did stupidity become a contagious disease . this particular form of wilful ignorance seems to be rampant in institutions that are supposed to educate people to a higher level. all I am constantly seeing is dogma passed on to those to stupid to actually do anything useful with their lives .

11. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Will this guy be able to get a job with this outstanding scholarship?