1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Times - Call for review of ‘flawed’ ME research in Lancet letter

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Daisybell, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for feeding back this information. It helps put a context to the situation we are facing in gaining MP support which we need if we get a main chamber debate. There are obviously conventions in place which make it difficult for some MPs to sign. It is not just that we are not working to get them on side.

I think we maybe need to act strategically. There were over 100 signatories to the last edm so they presumably are open to consider signing unless they now have a role which precludes this. There are also the rest of the members of the Science and Technology Committee. Others here may have more experience and interest ( cannot remember their names)and may be able to suggest other avenues.

I imagine MPs without safe majorities will be more receptive to constituent views.

Anyone know what Carol is planning currently? She is now deputy Chair of Forward ME but I have been watching for their minutes and haven’t seen any since 1st May unless posted in last 2 days.

2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  3. KarenSW

KarenSW Established Member

I agree, good to be more strategic and as you said MPs without safe majorities are also likely to be more receptive to constituent pressure. What we have been doing in the ME Action regional group is connecting constituents with other constituents for the same MP, so they can possibly, if well enough, arrange a group meeting with their MP.

I would love to know if there are any constituents of Carol Monaghan's on here. It would be great to make contact with her via constituent contact to see if she can give some feedback on how best the ME community can support her, if there are any MPs it would be particularly beneficial for us to target and what her next steps are.

4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Couldn't you contact ME Action Scotland?
    @Emsho

Invisible Woman, MEMarge and Amw66 like this.
  5. KarenSW

KarenSW Established Member

Yes, I'll discuss it with ME Action Scotland.

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I was casually browsing the SMC site earlier to see what opinions they had decided the great unwashed should hear and it occurred to me, and confirmed by a search of their site, that they have made no comment on this criticism of PACE (publicly at least). That's either a step forward, they've given up trying to defend the indefensible, or they are trying to ignore the criticism, in the foolish hope it goes away.

7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Probably indicative of burying heads in the sand, implying your latter option. Probably that and coming to the realisation they are out on a very long and very high limb, finally realising it's almost parted company with its trunk. Rabbits frozen in headlights maybe.

8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect that they were involved in Watt's statement (Ed Sykes was promoting it, and it has some familiar SMC phrasing), and have just decided that they're best off hiding behind the authority of others.

9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Brian Deer was interviewed on Newsnight (BBC2) last night when they discussed Wakefield, and anti-vaxxers in general and the impact.
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1042532461538955269