1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Times - Call for review of ‘flawed’ ME research in Lancet letter

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Daisybell, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps. But a lot of US clinicians offer experimental treatments. There’s not much evidence for most things in this field.

Inara, Amw66, Invisible Woman and 2 others like this.
  2. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

True. It was just a suggestion.

Felt like it would be wrong for me (as a Belgian) not to mention it.

Indigophoton, Inara, Esther12 and 5 others like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What about Carmen Scheibenbogen ?
    maybe something our German Group could look into?

@TiredSam @Joh @Inara

4. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Indigophoton, Inara, Amw66 and 8 others like this.
  5. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, it's disappointing, again not a single doctor or other person from Germany (apart from the charities). My impression is that the team at the Charité is under pressure and maybe isn't in the position to openly engage in "activism". Maybe we could ask the two or three private doctors who treat pwME (don't know if they were asked and have never been in contact with any of them).

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  6. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No I didn't. I'm guessing not, but is there anything any of us can do to assist with this?

7. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, Barry. We've had an exchange of submissions and responses and there's nothing now until the hearing. I am preparing things at the moment and if I need help, I'll ask. Appreciate the offer.

8. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree that the more people with academic qualifications the better. However, I think weight will be added by those specifically NOT involved in ME research or treatment. Michael Sharpe has just accused the signatories of finding psychological research unwelcome. The less the chance of accusing signatories of conflict of interest the better. Researchers like Julia Newton who do ME research as a bolt on to more general interests probably also carry weight but those who push unproven treatments or sell assays are probably best avoided.

Indigophoton, janice, wdb and 13 others like this.
  9. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What about using that BMJ rapid response forum to put out an open invitation for more signatories?

I don't see why there shouldn't be an open campaign at this point. If there is injustice in any other sphere of life, people mount a campaign against it, and rightly so. It's only in the heads of the PACE authors that 'campaign' is a dirty word.

Wonko, Indigophoton, Inara and 5 others like this.
  10. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have received replies from both Ed Davey and Nicky Morgan, MPs.

Since we hope to have a debate in the full house, and will need as much MP support as possible, I think it is worth making every effort with MPs. David said that he had contacted them a second time but didn't gain any new ones, so I think we all need to all be contacting any MPs we might have links with.

Link to the Times or MEA is useful to add.

Indigophoton, janice, Inara and 8 others like this.
  11. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would do it more gently than that. Maybe just "if anyone is interested in adding their signature then please contact ... for further information."

12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

It's a demarcation dispute. The PACE and BPS crowd are the only ones allowed to campaign, according to the PACE and BPS crowd.

Wonko, Indigophoton, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  13. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree. That's also my impression. Sadly.

I could ask Prof. Huber, also I could point Dr. Bieger to the letter. Please give me a go.

Edit: But still, I could ask someone at the charité.

Edit2: There's also a Dr. Pfeiffer in Berlin. What about him?

14. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds great! I started a thread in our German section, where we could maybe work on this little project. :)

Thanks for the reminder @Sly Saint, I wasn't aware that signatures can still be collected.

15. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would prefer not to have the private docs involved, seconding @Jonathan Edwards' point:
    btw, never heard of Dr. Pfeiffer - do you have a link, @Inara ?

16. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do we know whether they have been asked yet?
    @dave30th, did you contact Carmen Scheibenbogen and her team? ( https://me-pedia.org/wiki/Carmen_Scheibenbogen )

17. KarenSW

KarenSW Established Member

I'm the admin for ME Action England South West and one of our members met with Thangham Debonnaire last week who said that because she was an opposition whip she would be unable to sign the letter to the Lancet (or sign up to MAIMES), so other PPSs/whips/ministers may say the same. A few other members have been contacting their MPs about the letter but are yet to recieve a response. I meet with my MP Darren Jones on the 21st September and am hopeful that he might sign - especially as he is a member of the Science and Technology Select Committee along with Carol Monaghan which recently carried out a general investigation into research integrity. Carol Monaghan mentioned the PACE trial on at least a couple of occasions during that investigation.

18. janice

janice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes my MP is one of these. I've forwarded the MEA link from 24th Aug since I felt it gave a good summary and labelled it something like Increased International awareness of of inappropriate medical care of ME/CFS patients. I sent it to his senior adviser since I never usually get much of a response from his parliamentary secretary. Plus I asked what my MP was doing to assist this. Ho hum. Probably nothing will happen but I've got nothing to lose.

19. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Where did he make this accusation? I'd like to read it, if possible.

Barry and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  20. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)