1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Stanford Daily: Stanford Medicine professor (José Montoya) fired for violating University rules of conduct (june 2019)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Eagles, Jun 4, 2019.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems to come from British Columbia. Could be a VPN but it's allocated to Telus (an ISP and cell provider) and I doubt they operate one.

2. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://browserleaks.com/ip

Yeah probably a real IP. Doesn't appear to be a VPN or Tor exit node. Not sure why Cort didn't simply delete the posts instead of adding fuel to the fire. It's his forum though.

Probably better discussed in the online privacy thread.

Sorry for the off topic.

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are we interested in opinions of people who want to protect Montoya or are we interested in the facts of the case?
    No one is unable to commit crimes because of their accomplishments. However if they want to donate money to ensure he has good legal representation then they should do so which would allow the evidence to be tested.
    Also i notice how they try to paint the situation as reverse this otherwise Stanford's reputation is the one to suffer...

Mij, Sarah94, Dr Carrot and 3 others like this.
  5. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I always find this sort of thing interesting because I think it highlights how we as humans often have very one dimensional views of other people. Bad people are sometimes capable of good. Equally good people can make mistakes and do bad things. We often only ever get to see one side of someone.

The defence of “but he’s such a good guy!” has been used to silence those who report abuse for decades, and I think it plays into the idea that someone is either entirely good or entirely bad. Just because you personally like someone or enjoy working with them doesn’t mean they’re capable of doing terrible things. I hope the women involved get some sort of justice soon!

6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There appears to be a lot of jumping to conclusions unwarranted by the publicly available evidence.

7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did you mean "incapable"?

8. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah no I meant capable. As in, people are rarely black and white. Someone I know and like may have been horrible to you, etc.

Barry likes this.
  9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sisyphus, Binkie4 and Barry like this.
  10. Alvin

Thanks for posting this

I could just repeat my last post, but it seems many don't want to realize that people can commit crimes even though they act professionally in other areas.
    Bernie Madoff was charming, yet he perpetrated the biggest ponzi scheme in history. Perhaps even because of his charm.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  11. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Absolutely. In my experience, abusers get away with it because they're superficially charming. That's why people find it hard to come forward. The victims worry no one will believe them because the abuser is so popular.

12. chrisb

I think it would be a mistake to underestimate the levels of understanding or realisation of people on this forum.

13. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought Alvin's comment was more aimed at the defenders in the articles, and society in general. But I could be wrong.

As an analogy, it seems like people in the past tended to disbelieve their idols could do terrible things just because they liked their music/films/TV shows/politics. But I think that's certainly changing and people are becoming more sceptical even of their favourite celebrities.

MEMarge and feeb like this.
  14. Alvin

Agreed.

You are correct. This is a time honoured way to defend abusers, it was wrong then and society is just beginning to understand its wrong now.

Indeed. Using celebrity as a shield is slowly coming to an end.

15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Cort's hatchet job on Montoya. My interpretation/understanding of it is that Cort seems to think that with Montoya out of the way, Ron and the OMF should get more funding. And also that it is Montoya's fault that Stanford hasn't achieved more in ME research.

Also this was more than surprising to read
    I'd be intrigued to determine how accurate this is, considering that Montoya was part of the Columbia CRC setup - would he really agreed to be part of that while also putting in a bid himself? Perhaps he would.

https://web.archive.org/web/2019072...ver-lining-montoya-chronic-fatigue-situation/

Snowdrop, sebaaa, Helen and 4 others like this.
  16. chrisb

One wonders whether Cort understands that suggesting a possible reason for ulterior motives may not be entirely helpful to anyone.

Snowdrop, Sisyphus, sebaaa and 9 others like this.
  17. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

‘Destroyed my career’: Faculty report unchecked sexual harassment in School of Medicine | The Stanford Daily
    https://www.stanforddaily.com/2020/...cked-sexual-harassment-in-school-of-medicine/

sebaaa, shak8, Alton and 2 others like this.
  18. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

not sure how this fits in; it seems to be a civil case against Montoya and Stanford.
    final entry
    https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/31133730/Mendiola_v_Stanford_University_et_al

19. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. chrisb

This did not look like a case between Stanford and Montoya. It involved proceedings by Mendiola (whoever she is) against Stanford and Montoya for employment discrimination. This could mean either that there has been an agreed settlement out of court or that the case has been dropped. One suspects the former.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2020
    Barry, ukxmrv and MEMarge like this.