1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The royal society of medicine: medical stories and the public (with Stephen Fry & Simon Wessely)

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Kalliope, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dare one say Timon of Athens? (Played by Simon Russell-Beale.)
    Without the ending, that is - so far.

ukxmrv and Amw66 like this.
  2. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree that Wessley will have made sure in advance that this isn't going to be an event where there could be an open discussion about ME. It won't be mentioned.

BUT I do think it's interesting that Stephen Fry tweeted about Unrest and I'm pretty sure that he tweeted about ME previously to that tweet too. It may have been on a previous ME awareness type day some years ago. As I recall he tweeted something like, 'ME is a real illness..'. I remember thinking when I read it, - he must have a friend with ME. Perhaps it was as result of that initial tweet that someone introduced him to Unrest? Of course, I've no idea when it was and there is a chance I've mis-remembered.

Just thinking though, that he has an enquiring mind and if he got curious, it could be useful. Of course, his passion and commitment lies with mental health as that's his experience but he seems like a compassionate and interested type of person.

MSEsperanza, Inara, rvallee and 6 others like this.
  3. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He’s also an Alzheimer’s champion and prostate cancer “victim “so probably has enough health “causes”

Inara, adambeyoncelowe, Sean and 2 others like this.
  4. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

You are absolutelty correct, Trish - ME is not relevant to this event, though the theme is medical narratives and the public. I guess it is just so galling for all of us that Wessely will once again be in the spotlight, presenting himself as a reasonable and affable scientist. Everyone present at the event will be seduced by his usual bullshit.

MEMarge, Pechius, Inara and 7 others like this.
  5. large donner

large donner Guest

Probably true, it would be nice though if this turned out to be another Mike Godwin own goal. That would just be amazing.

Chezboo, MSEsperanza, Inara and 15 others like this.
  6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Indeed. I will be gobsmacked if he doesn't make at least some generic comments about stigma and hostility to mental health, how difficult a job it can be for clinicians, a minority of bastard mental-illness denying patients making it difficult for all, etc.

We have heard it all before from him. This event just stinks of an organised propaganda exercise for exactly that purpose.

That said, I will be the first to apologise to and congratulate Fry if he doesn't uncritically swallow the Wessely line. Doesn't have to be much, just an acknowledgement of some kind that not everything currently classified as mental illness is actually so, that psychiatry sometimes makes very serious mistakes (and by sometimes, I mean, frequently).

MEMarge, Pechius, MSEsperanza and 9 others like this.
  7. large donner

large donner Guest

I may have just given myself an idea accidentally. Why doesn't someone tweet both Godwin and Fry in one tweet with something thought provoking relating to Wessely and the fall out from that exchange with Godwin. Maybe @ it to Peter Tatchell too.

I'm pretty sure Fry will be intrigued by a dispute caused by Godwins law and Wessely. He loves twitter and other intellectuals and he will have probably quoted Godwins law on something like QI before.

8. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But what does Alan Davies think of all this???

10. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

I don’t want to overwhelm Stephen Fry about Wessely’s misdemeanours, he may end up feeling ‘ambushed’, and after all the theme of the talk is medical storytelling not ME itself, but I think is okay to put seed in his head of harms Wessely has caused. I added to @JaimeS tweet:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1024210433551593472

11. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

x2

12. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Why did this post make me think of Jimmy Saville?

13. large donner

large donner Guest

I cant think of any reason why it wouldn't.

adambeyoncelowe likes this.
  14. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does Wesseley have any substantive contributions in the mental health field? I don't really know anything about him outside of the whole 'cognitive-behavioral model of CFS'.

MSEsperanza and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  15. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Military health, veterans too. He’s also currently doing a big mental health review for the government. I can’t think of any great achievement, breakthrough in understanding though, but perhaps psychiatrists aren’t expected too. He’s just pushed himself forward and ingratiated himself with lots of people on the way it seems.

16. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I had assumed this was an event for doctors, not a public event. And the live streaming just to the overflow room, not on-line. We are therefore unlikely ever to know much of what went on at the event.
    I've just checked the information, and it says 'join the discussion on line', and gives the Twitter links:
    Tweet: #MedStorytelling
    Follow us at @RoySocMed

TiredSam, Barry, Amw66 and 3 others like this.
  17. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

18. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just realized that Sir Simon changed his presidency – from being President of the Royal College of Psychiatrists to being President of the Royal Society of Medicine.

(Or was he both presidents simultanously?)

The latter Royal Society perhaps was so overwhelmed by his new(?) President, that it let some typos slip into the last sentence of Sir Simon’s biography. The last sentence states:

instead of
    https://www.rsm.ac.uk/about-us/governance/council/professor-sir-simon-wessely-bio.aspx

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    TiredSam, Joh, Barry and 4 others like this.
  19. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

How very apt given Wessely's medieval approach to medicine.

MEMarge, Lisa108, MSEsperanza and 7 others like this.
  20. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Story Telling pretty much covers it.

MEMarge, Lisa108, MeSci and 3 others like this.