1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The role of spousal relationships in fibromyalgia patients’ quality of life, 2018, Huang et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywalled at http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13548506.2018.1444183?journalCode=cphm20

2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

First we had it claimed that negative relationships prompt functional symptoms as patients manifest their repressed pain physically.

Then it was claimed that 'positive' relationships prompt functional symptoms as caring attention enabled a dysfunctional adoption of the sick role.

Now it seems that relationships don't have much (any?) affect on symptoms or prompt 'negative' coping styles, but nice relationships are still nice.

Anyone know these researchers, and what their prior views may have been?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I can't get my head around this. Is it worth it?

They seem to have discovered the amazing fact (sarcasm) that people in happy relationships cope better mentally.

And that neither relationship nor coping style impact physical symptoms.

And yet they conclude that it's a good idea for therapists treating pain to stick their noses into a patient's relationships.

Huh? Did I read that right?