1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The prevalence and treatment of health anxiety in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) - Jo Daniels 2018

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Without objective measures for both entry and outcome, claims of PF improvements are nonsensical.

WillowJ, MEMarge, rvallee and 2 others like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's what I was chasing down, but decided it may not be such a big deal. The score of 18 for SHAI is as they describe, just in clinical range. i.e Just out of the no-health-anxiety region. So they took a sample of people with CFS having at least some health anxiety (which I felt would likely be most people with CFS), and they concluded 42% of those had severe health anxiety.

3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

There isn't enough tripe in the world to fill that bag.

MEMarge, JaimeS, Inara and 3 others like this.
  4. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is the 'real' BPS that Wessley et al co-opted: the idea that social distress is important in medicine, not that psychiatric interventions should effectively replace biomedical ones.

WillowJ, ladycatlover, Sean and 5 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

AKA correlation is literally the same thing as causation, amirite guys?!

That is ultimately the fatal flaw in the psychosocial nonsense: it can all be perfectly explained by Occam's razor. Sick people behave like sick people, get over it. This is exactly what you expect to find and just because YOU don't understand that there are extraordinary circumstances does not change the fact that there are.

I like to compare it to the Trump error, because this is something narcissists do regularly: "nobody knew X" because they just found out about it and assume if they didn't know then no one could possibly know because they are solipsists. Wessely has written several times about this, that because HE could not find a cause than no one in the history of ever would find a cause so might as well work on all those weird correlations that can be so easily confused as a cause because it makes for a great career and a knighthood and all this fancy stuff even though his hands are overflowing with blood.

Uh, rant. I'm so sick of this shit. People are ruining my life and I can't do anything about it. And no, I'm not anxious about it. I'm mad and angry and want Justice with a huge capital J.

WillowJ, JaimeS, Inara and 8 others like this.
  6. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are few more effective tools for controlling and directing a population than to imply they're 'just crazy'. They bristle in outrage at the suggestion, and they've proved you right. They subside into politeness and deference, and you've fixed the problem. We're far from the only ones.

While not everyone will react to this situation by feeling depressed or anxious, that would be a totally normal, reasonable response.

I had more of this but I had to stop here before I worked myself up!

7. Lidia

Lidia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My first issue with this study is that the secondary aim:
    is predicated on the expectation that health anxiety will be found in the CFS sample. This shows the researchers are biased.

8. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Another issue is that the secondary aim is predicated on the idea that health anxiety (as defined with the questionnaire) is maladaptive in sick people.

Surely, if you are sick then it's not only very normal but also quite good to be somewhat worried about it and take some steps to stop being sick?

If you have significant symptoms lasting for some time, it seems to me that a degree of concern about your health is likely to prompt some actions that are wise and potentially helpful (including getting second opinions from doctors).

9. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. You have to be logged in to view any kind of attachment or photo.