1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The possibility of autoimmunity or auto-reactivity in ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Possible causes and predisposing factor discussion' started by Marky, Jan 4, 2021.

1. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks - Googled and I assume this is Chris Ponting's T-cell project - correct? https://www.actionforme.org.uk/rese...arch/research-we-fund/comparing-immune-cells/

Ron and andypants like this.
  2. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. More info and video from CMRC 2020 in this post.
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/chris-pontings-project-to-replicate-mark-davis’s-remarkable-findings-of-immune-activation-in-me-cfs-s-mcgrath-blog.4391/#post-257035

Rereading the post, they were expecting first results at the end of 2020 although the pandemic is likely to have delayed this.

cfsandmore, FMMM1 and Hutan like this.
  3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm just glad we managed to coax a speculative hypothesis out of you!

FMMM1, MSEsperanza, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

full article here
    https://www.mdedge.com/rheumatology...issue-diseases/emerging-data-point-underlying

eta: to view second page you might need to register(?)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2021
    Michelle, Solstice, Yessica and 13 others like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I'm coming from a thread that is even more enthusiastic about the possibility that Long Covid is an autoimmune disease, (i.e. characterised by the presence of autoantibodies), than Dr Scheibenbogen is in the 2021 report above:
    Autoimmunity is a hallmark of post-COVID syndrome, 2022, Rojas et al

So, Rojas et al found that the majority of the Long Covid patients did have autoantibodies, but of the 100 autoantibodies or so tested for, no particular autoantibody stood out as being common. The authors did not report what percentages of healthy controls also had elevated levels of one or more autoantibodies.

So, I've come here to continue thinking about whether everyone, and certainly everyone who recently had an infection, has elevated levels of some autoantibodies. i.e. having some autoantibodies is perfectly normal. On the Rojas et al thread, I quoted a 2016 paper that suggested that some autoantibodies are helpful. It was suggested that they have a function in regulating an immune response, among other things.

There's this 2021 Russian paper that proposes an idea that is interesting:
    Antinuclear Autoantibodies in Health: Autoimmunity Is Not a Synonym of Autoimmune Disease
    That is, not only are some autoantibodies not harmful, but a lack them and the regulatory functions they perform might even cause problems. :confused:

6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, this is basic medical student immunology.

alktipping, FMMM1, Trish and 3 others like this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That looks garbage to me.

I worked out that the way to produce remission in RA was to target B cell clones rather than T cells despite the mockery of the immunology community and proved right. I made that decision because I had reached an understanding of how autoantibody production occurs. No fancy theories about autoantibodies being useful are needed, just the cell biology finally cracked by Michael Neuberger in the 1990s and the concept that antibody species production is random and that selecting useful species is inevitably subject to some 'software bugs' because of the way the system signals.

8. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[/QUOTE]

From my experience this is starting to sound spookily close

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.