1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Pharmaceutical Journal: Opening the black box: the researchers trying to find treatments for long COVID

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by ahimsa, Apr 2, 2022.

1. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Opening the black box: the researchers trying to find treatments for long COVID
    March 17, 2022
    I did not read the whole thing but I noticed this section on ME/CFS:

2. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

NelliePledge, alktipping, Mij and 4 others like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

He was lead author on this 2013 paper, "Use of an online survey to explore positive and negative outcomes of rehabilitation for people with CFS/ME"

"Purpose: First, to explore the experiences of people with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) of rehabilitation therapies so as to build an understanding of reasons for the discrepancy between the notably mixed experiences regarding effectiveness reported in patient surveys and the RCT evidence about the efficacy of Graded Exercise Therapy (GET). GET is a form of structured and supervised activity management that aims for gradual but progressive increases in physical activity. Second, to review patient experiences of two related rehabilitation approaches, Exercise on Prescription (EoP) and Graded Activity Therapy (GAT).

Method
    : An online survey conducted by the charity Action for ME generated qualitative data about 76 patient experiences of rehabilitation undertaken during or after 2008, examined using thematic analysis.

Results
    : Both positive and negative experiences of rehabilitation were reported. Positive themes included supportive communication, the benefits of a routine linked with baseline setting and pacing, the value of goal setting, and increasing confidence associated with exercise. Negative themes included poor communication, feeling pushed to exercise beyond a sustainable level, having no setback plan, and patients feeling blamed for rehabilitation not working.

Conclusions
    : The negative themes may help explain the negative outcomes from rehabilitation reported by previous patient surveys. The negative themes indicate rehabilitation processes which contradict the NICE (National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence) Guideline advice regarding GET, indicating that some clinical encounters were not implementing these. These findings suggest areas for improving therapist training, and for developing quality criteria for rehabilitation in CFS/ME."

Paywall, https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/09638288.2013.797508
    Open access, https://www.bristol.ac.uk/media-lib...s of rehabilitation for people with CFSME.pdf

alktipping, ahimsa, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  5. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Managed to get the updated BACME name, but still got it wrong!

Pete Gladwell is one of the more active BACME members, and has been part of the dysregulation stuff.

alktipping, Starlight and Trish like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The mention of "fatigue science" is just as much part of the problem as the BPS ideologues. It's almost impossible to solve a complex problem while misunderstanding its nature and obsessing over one singular aspect. Ugh.

7. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fatigue, balance, headaches...they are all "lingering". Lingering like a scent in the air, or a gaze, or a kiss. It's all so... romantic. And implicitly temporary.

Researchers on all sides of the endeavor, please stop contributing to the problem with careless wording. These aren't novels you're writing.

Symptoms remain. Symptoms persist.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022