1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Neuropsychological Profile of Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: Sibling Case Study (2018) Loughan et al.

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Milo, Dec 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Neuropsychological Profile of Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: Sibling Case Study

(Note: there is no category for research related to ME. POTS is co-morbid to ME, so it is related to ME but not ME only research) This is potentially important research to prove disability.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09084282.2012.753075

Abstract

Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), estimated to affect 500,000 people in the United States alone, is a growing source of impairment and disability.

Symptoms often consist of physical, cognitive, and psychological impairment. The symptoms are driven by fluctuations in cerebral blood flow.

Cerebral perfusion is tightly controlled and linked to brain function as changes in posture can result in quick hemovascular regulation by the autonomic nervous system.

Any delay in hemoregulation and cerebral blood flow can result in neurological symptoms. POTS is associated with chronic autonomic dysregulation, and people with POTS suffer differing degrees of cerebral hypoperfusion causing variability in symptoms.

This article reviews the cases of two siblings (22 years old and 19 years old) who both suffer from POTS. They suffered physical symptoms along with difficulty organizing thoughts, sustaining attention, thinking quickly, multitasking, and recalling recent information, as well as depression and anxiety.

These sisters have Full-Scale IQs (FSIQ) above average, yet they received academic accommodations and have ongoing cognitive dysfunction that prevents them from furthering their true potential.

These cases illustrate the need for neuropsychologists and other treating providers to understand POTS, the related pathophysiology, and how cognitively debilitating POTS can be, even in the context of intact and high FSIQ scores.

MEMarge, lafarfelue, Snowdrop and 7 others like this.