The neuroimaging evidence of brain abnormalities in functional movement disorders, 2021, Sasikumar and Strafella

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Hutan, Jul 5, 2023.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8418342/

Abstract
    Neuroimaging has been pivotal in identifying and reframing our understanding of functional movement disorders. If accessible, it compensates for the limitations of the clinical exam and is especially useful where there is overlap of functional symptoms with classical presentations of disease. Imaging in functional movement disorders has increasingly identified structural and functional abnormalities that implicate hypoactivation of the cortical and subcortical motor pathways and increased modulation by the limbic system. Neurobiological theories suggest an impaired sense of agency, faulty top-down regulation of motor movement and abnormal emotional processing in these individuals.

This framework challenges our traditional understanding of functional movement disorders as distinct from the deceptive term of ‘organic’ diseases and proposes that these conditions are not considered as mutually exclusive. This update summarizes the literature to date and explores the role of imaging in the diagnosis of functional movement disorders and in detecting its underlying molecular network.

2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

So when properly investigated physical abnormalities are found in people diagnosed with a functional condition, and somehow that supports the idea of functional conditions, rather than highlighting how flawed it is?

Amw66, Gradzy, Mithriel and 19 others like this.
  3. Hutan

As I mentioned elsewhere, papers like this are an interesting reflection of psychosomatic medicine proponents scrambling to reposition themselves as the evidence comes in for physical, medically treatable causes of various health conditions that have carried the 'functional' label.

Here, the inference is that being labelled with a disorder that has a psychogenic cause is not a positive outcome for the patient. We see the terms 'psychogenic', 'somatisation' and 'conversion disorder' being replaced by 'functional disorder' not only because the patients like it, but because the house of cards doesn't fall down when the patients don't have a history of trauma, or obvious psychological issues. Or when pathologies, physical evidence of the disease, are identified. The term used can stay the same; the promoters of magic medicine can subtly shift and retain their 'expert' status.

This is talking about misdiagnosis, where two out of five people with 'clinically established functional parkinsonism' were found to have an 'underlying neurodegenerative etiology instead', a disease cause that can be treated.

More mis-diagnosis.

and more

more

more

and more

Here the patient had a tremor that varied with distraction - a key test for functional movement disorders according to Jon Stone (ref #5)
    Surgery on identified structural spinal atrophy improved the tremor.

But, despite all this evidence that new technology and clinician diligence can keep discovering non-psychogenic causes, there is still belief in the concept of movement symptoms that arise out of nothing. Read this next paragraph, for example:

The paper tells us that functional movement disorders can coexist with actual pathology; and that a lack of identified pathology confirms a functional diagnosis. As we've mentioned elsewhere when reviewing papers that report finding actual pathology in patients as their diseases became more florid, there is a resolute clinging on to the functional diagnosis. A brain turning to mush over a matter of months is, the functional disease experts tell us, not a reason for a patient to not also have a functional disorder.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2023
    Simbindi, Gradzy, Michelle and 13 others like this.
  4. Hutan

There's some really nasty patient labelling going on here, where differences in brain activation that are poorly understood are so often bent to suit a 'not really sick but at the same time, sick' narrative.
    We've seen the poorly done studies of brain imaging; it's no surprise that the findings are inconsistent. And yet, these flaws and inconsistencies are no barrier to FMD proponents speculating wildly on the psychological causes of motor impairments.

I think this paragraph illustrates my point. These authors are all over the place. They are at once admirably trying to point out that new technology can find causes for motor disorders, causes with real treatments. But they still manage to be in 'God of the Gaps' mode at the same time. They are at once pointing out some of the flaws and inconsistencies of the brain imaging studies that supposedly provide evidence of FMD and emotional processing, while still promoting patient-blaming labelling.

And of course, the answer as always is CBT. Well, it will be, when more research is done.

Simbindi, RedFox, Michelle and 10 others like this.
  5. Hutan

This paper is mentioned on other threads:
    Functional Neurological Disorder (FND) - articles, social media and discussion
    Extensive Brain Pathologic Alterations Detected with 7.0-T MR Spectroscopic Imaging Associated with Disability in Multiple Sclerosis, 2022, Heckova+

This thread has more examples of the phenomenon of having an extremely serious brain degenerative disease while supposedly also having a functional overlay. It includes a link to another thread with the case study of the woman I was referring to upthread with CJD:
    Functional neurological symptoms as initial presentation of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: case series 2022 Gómez-Mayordomo et al

Simbindi, alktipping, shak8 and 4 others like this.
  6. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And yet we have What Does Neuroscience Tell Us About the Conversion Model of Functional Neurological Disorders? (2019)

(TLDR: it's totally conversion disorder you guys, don't worry about the name.)

As Hutan notes, the neuromancers have really managed to tie themselves into a Gordian knot. In this analogy, perhaps MRI will be Alexander's sword.

Simbindi, alktipping, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not aware of a single thing supporting this, other than ideologues saying this on a loop for years without any basis. What are they even talking about? Other than when something is found it's no longer "functional"/conversion disorder. Other than the relatively recent and egregious BS about "functional overlays", which is basically "heads I win, tails you lose".

And if nothing else, findings invalidate the entire premise since despite the Big Lie, the only relevant factor here is "none of our current tests tell us anything relating to some known pathologies and we've been doing things this way for over a century and cannot possibly stop with our credibility intact".

How in the hell do they somehow manage to cram through "agency" here?

Simbindi, Gradzy, Mithriel and 6 others like this.
  8. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We can expect to see quite a bit of this scrambling to reposition now that updated technologies like 7 tesla MRI scanners are becoming available. Any new diagnostic procedure in neurology puts a lot of psychobabble careers at risk.

Simbindi, RedFox, Michelle and 8 others like this.
  9. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This infamous study should send a chill down anyone’s spine. Despite clear evidence of organic disease and a fatal outcome, they still would not admit that they were wrong about FND. I hear this a lot anecdotally as well. Cases where someone was told they had FND, then a real diagnosis is made and the neurologist refuses to remove FND from the chart. Instead of mea culpa you get told you have both. “Functional overlay.”

Simbindi, RedFox, Michelle and 8 others like this.
  10. livinglighter

livinglighter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Many people are misdiagnosed so why can’t the same be the case for people with FND?

Simbindi, Arnie Pye, Sean and 2 others like this.
  11. Hutan

It's a really good question.

Maybe it is because the FND doctors really do know that giving someone that diagnosis is making an unfavourable statement about that person's personality. And, if the cause of the symptoms does actually end up being a tumour, or MS, or Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, then the FND doctor might feel bad about having made such an assumption about someone who was really sick. And the patient and their family might also feel highly aggrieved about that, there might even be thoughts of legal action against the doctors. The family might feel guilty for having jumped to the conclusion that their loved one was just not thinking the right thoughts, rather than having a physical disease.

So, maybe, the conclusion 'oh, they had a real disease but with a functional overlay' serves lots of purposes. The FND doctors get to feel okay about themselves and continue diagnosing people with FND, because they weren't wrong. The family also don't have to feel so guilty about not pushing for more tests in a timely way or not providing support. The patient and family are a whole lot less likely to take legal action alleging medical negligence, because they either believe the overlay idea, or they understand that any litigation is going to have family trauma and the patient's sanity interrogated.

Simbindi, obeat, Michelle and 8 others like this.
  12. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another thing that seems contradictory about the whole thing is that every article on diagnosis/management says how challenging it can be to diagnose. At the same time, they claim the purported rule-in clinical signs (Hoover's sign, entrainment, etc) are highly specific. If a test or sign is highly specific, how can the entity also be hard to diagnose accurately?

Simbindi, Sid, rvallee and 10 others like this.
  13. ToneAl

ToneAl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Because tests such as hoovers are circular and false positives exist

Simbindi, alktipping, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  14. Hubris

Hubris Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The culture of disdain is very deeply rooted within medicine. I remember reading a literature review on autoimmune encephalitis, which is an illness with autoantibodies directly attacking your brain, where you can easily die within weeks if not treated. When I read that 30% of those patients have a negative MRI, I asked myself how the hell it is possible for neurologists to be so confident in knowing nothing is wrong with you when their diagnostic tools have such severe limitations. Surely, any rational person couldn't not have doubts about their judgement, especially considering the huge amount of harm it would do to the patient. Eventually, I learned that this way of thinking is the standard and nobody really cares that these patients are a playground for certain doctors to dish out abuse.

In this context, the mental gymnastics that are happening to justify the coexisting of FND and neurodegenerative illness as diagnostic tools improve are not that surprising.

Simbindi, Gradzy, Sid and 9 others like this.
  15. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How often does their literature indicate they are diagnosing FND/overlay without rule-in signs? Is it the case that they can no longer make the diagnosis without positive rule-in signs?

If those signs aren't actually present in many patients, but they still want to give them a diagnosis of FND, that would tend to make things challenging...

Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
    Simbindi, alktipping, Sean and 5 others like this.
  16. livinglighter

I'm sure my ME diagnosis was referred to what is now called FND without rule-in signs - if that even makes sense.

I was told since I have ME, which is not neurological, it meant I have a non-organic illness. What happened to the lovely neuropsychological evaluations used at the time to decide if symptoms were simply organic or not?

Now it is roll out the neuro-psych tests on certain patients because now they can diagnose FND.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2023
    Simbindi, RedFox, Sean and 2 others like this.
  17. Hutan

What rule-in signs? There's a paper discussed here on the forum that actually said that the bringing in of a soft toy to the clinic was a sign of FND (yes, really), along with the suggestion that being young and female contributed to the FND diagnosis.

Here it is:
    Evidence-Based Practice for the Clinical Assessment of Psychogenic Nonepileptic Seizures, 2020, Baslet et al
    (Just in case you missed it, read the title of that paper again - 'evidence-based' and 2020)
    If you have a teddy bear and you are in an EEG unit, you almost certainly have psychogenic seizures.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2023
    Simbindi, Wyva, RedFox and 7 others like this.
  18. livinglighter

I remember the toy one and chuckled to myself, thinking there is no way this BS will catch on and now look at where we are. The acceptance was abnormally rapid. One day FND was about toys, the next day it was in the first acquired brain injury & neuro conditions guideline. Which reminds me, how did it get in there without structural brain abnormalities being a feature of the illness at the time?

Simbindi, RedFox, Sean and 4 others like this.
  19. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm getting a bit lost about one thing: functional disorders vs FND. Is FND supposed to be some different thing from the general use of "functional disorders", which means the same thing, and under which all chronic illness has been classified by many?

Seems like there's recently been this creation of a separate but equal thing here, where ME, fibromyalgia, IBS, POTS and other stuff is considered generically "functional", meaning conversion disorder, meaning psychosomatic/stress/trauma/anxiety/whatever, but FND is the same thing, but they added this recent bit about a "rule in" sign, one that clearly doesn't matter anyway since if it's not there it's still "functional", and it means the same thing, has the same "definition", if one can call it that, and the exact same treatment approach.

Really seems like they're eating their cake and having it too here. Because the broader generic idea of "functional" remains the modern label for psychosomatic. And obviously FND is functional neurological disorder, so quite obviously the same as functional disorder. It's like it's all the same thing, but at the same time there's this big pretense of a separation that is, somehow, a subset, one that is equal to the whole. Mathematicians would puzzle endlessly at how that's supposed to make any sense at all.

And things will keep getting more and more ridiculous as new technology brings out results that invalidate the whole thing, such as better imaging that shows changes that older technologies simply did not have the capacity to identify.

Simbindi, ToneAl, Sean and 3 others like this.
  20. livinglighter

Another mind-boggling thing for me is this.

From what I am currently aware of, when a patient complains of cognitive symptoms linked to the brain, e.g. attention, memory and concentration, the causes are; organic factors, false pretence or psychological disorder. An MRI should be carried out if a patient doesn't have a psychiatric history. If the MRI is clear, the next step in making a confident diagnosis because all three causes require very different interventions and treatments, is a neuropsychological evaluation, as it tests for structural deficits, malingering and psychological disorders. The test carefully evaluates all three possibilities causing someone to complain of varying cognitive symptoms.

For the most part, pwME complain of nervous system (neurologic) symptoms that a range of medical evaluations can determine.

At some point, ME symptoms have been understood to result from malingering. A neuropsych test can determine the likelihood.

As it stands, symptoms are alluded to be some form of converting emotional distress. A neuropsych test can assess the presence of psychological disorder.

Some argue ME is neurological. A neuropsych test can determine if cognitive symptoms arise from structural problems.

The Neuropsychological evaluation will also determine if a combination of the above is present.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK513310/

Neurologists have been using neuropsychological assessments to refer patients without organic abnormalities to mental health services following careful evaluation since, forever. If a patient has significant early childhood trauma causing maladaptive beliefs, shouldn't that be established while undergoing a thorough mental health evaluation?

In some cases, what has been established as FND seems backwards, in that, the patient presents with neurological symptoms but there is a refusal to screen for in-depth structural abnormalities.

TO ADD: I doubt just having early childhood negative/traumatic experiences is enough to justify maladaptive thoughts, there should be some other traits including behavioural ones that point towards a significant level of distress that a neuropsychologist is able to identify during the long period of interaction with the patient. They also work with patients suffering from lots of established neuro-brain conditions so they understand the symptoms and can interrogate them very well.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
    ToneAl likes this.