1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

What Does Neuroscience Tell Us About the Conversion Model of Functional Neurological Disorders?, 2019, Cretton et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Oct 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://neuro.psychiatryonline.org/doi/10.1176/appi.neuropsych.19040089
    Not currently available via Scihub.

2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So there are people out there who still think that the drug addled theories of a nineteenth century quack have relevance to modern science?

CS Lewis, professor of literature, spoke about talking to a scientist in the 30's. They were discussing Freud and Lewis said that Freud's views on literature were rubbish but he supposed his ideas on science must be significant. The scientist looked taken aback and said that he had always thought Freud's science was dreadful but his views on literature must be sound.

3. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hang on, when a psychiatric disorder is clearly predominant, don't lump it into this FND category. Just because every generation has to rearrange its categories due to new science or just the need to move the furniture around and write papers about it, no reason to throw out good science and good clinical judgement.

I would really start to worry when Munchausen's Syndrome by Proxy falls into the FND drawer, and the kid isn't saved.

livinglighter likes this.
  4. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What, so if I don't feel it's necessary to describe "the issue" in words, because it's just not that important to me, that's the pathology? Proven? Amazing.

Reaching much? "Please inform us of your trauma. Please."

So you can't find psychological causes and in fact most patients have physiological pathologies. Don't let that stop you though.

Is it A or B? It's both. If you suggest it's not both — even if you ask the question (as we just did at the beginning of the paragraph - oopsies - I guess we're dualists), implies that you are asking whether it might be A or B. That would be really, really bad. You mustn't do that.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2023
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

You've got me laughing and groaning simultaneously, @SNT Gatchaman. Does that make me a dualist?

Seriously though, this is exactly what they do with ME/CFS. Even when evidence is staring them in the face they keep insisting on psychiatric/psychogenic/psychosomatic explanations.

RedFox, rvallee, oldtimer and 3 others like this.