1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Gary Burgess - The ME show, and updates about Gary's health.

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Gary Burgess, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Nellie

Nellie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks again Gary.

MeSci, MEMarge, Andy and 3 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

@Sly Saint , if you've got the energy for it, I saw a request for a transcript of this episode (@Grigor ).

Gary Burgess, Grigor and MEMarge like this.
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks - marking this to listen to later. I'm just not finding time to keep up with all I want right now! Thanks to everyone.

MEMarge, Binkie4, JaneL and 1 other person like this.
  4. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This second series is really good, @Gary Burgess, thank you.

5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've done a transcript of Episode 8 with Dr Nina Muirhead;
    On a personal level it struck many chords with me not least the trying to go back to work bit...also occurred to me that 18 years ago (when she started medical school) was when I fell ill.

I'll try and do the latest one with Carol Monaghan when I can.

Starlight, Simbindi, Lisa108 and 14 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Carol does not pull punches. She gives a clear and considered account of the state of play.
    Dr Sharpe appears to her like a caged animal.

7. Sly Saint

Done the transcript for Series 2 Episode 9 with Carol Monaghan (apologies if there are errors, I've not gone through it thoroughly).

8. Sly Saint

Lisa108, Gary Burgess, JaneL and 8 others like this.
  9. Gary Burgess

Gary Burgess Established Member (Voting Rights)

Morning all.

Australian medical researcher Dr Mark Guthridge is my guest on today’s tenth episode of The ME Show podcast (the last in this series).

Search ‘The ME Show’ in iTunes, Spotify, Buzzsprout and other podcast players or visit www.meassociation.org.uk/themeshow

Thanks.

Hutan, Yessica, Simbindi and 15 others like this.
  10. Peter

Peter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great talk to Mark Guthridge, both a patient and scientist.

Very interesting this work looking at cancer cells, normal cells and ME cells, - also hearing of the metabolic inflexibilitys that can be measured and possibly targeted to reactivate metabolism.

Also nice that he who have attended a whole lot of cancer symposiums with only doctors/scientists, finds these ME-symposiums where patients interact so valuable.

Great season, Gary. Thanks.

RuthT, rvallee, MeSci and 7 others like this.
  11. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Gary BurgessThanks for all your hard work on these shows.

I'm a bit behind, just caught up with the Carol Monaghan episode, which is great, I'm so glad we have her working for us.

I wondered if, in the show notes alongside the links to the Sharpe/Liddle horror, you thought it might be helpful to include a link to the video being discussed here https://www.s4me.info/threads/response-to-michael-sharpe’s-claims-of-harassment.8850/
    Just to give the 'other side' so to speak?

It includes clips from the parliamentary debate so i thought it might be pertinent?

Just a thought

12. JellyBabyKid

JellyBabyKid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How is it the last in the series already?! It has been an excellent series Gary - really great guests and info. Thank you!!

andypants, Rosa, oldtimer and 6 others like this.
  13. Gary Burgess

Gary Burgess Established Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, all, for your feedback, guest suggestions, transcripts and kind words about series two. We broke through the 30,000 downloads barrier this week - which is beyond all my expectations. Have a restful Sunday, if you can.

14. JaneL

JaneL Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @Gary Burgess for another fantastic series. And seriously well done for breaking the 30,000 downloads barrier! Amazing! It’s good to know that your podcasts are reaching such a wide audience. You mentioned at the end of your last podcast that the ME show will be back which is great news. :thumbup: I look forward to the next series. In the meantime, take good care of yourself - I do hope things improve for you.

Yessica, MEMarge, andypants and 9 others like this.
  15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Yessica, Simbindi, rvallee and 7 others like this.
  16. Peter

Peter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great heartening episode, Gary. I find it appropriate to quote Klopp (Liverpool manager) last night:

- the guys are f...... mental giants.

That could be said of the ones telling their story on the podcast and everyone facing and living with ME.

It’s not a big issue, but wish there maybe was one or two men besides our friend Grigor talking. Given the ratio of the disease, it is natural that it’s almost only women talking. And a couple of mothers do talk on behalf of their sons, so that is good. So to be fair, this actually may be close to reflecting the women/men ratio. Nice work.

More general: when making things on ME, the picture often turns out quite one-sided. Aware that this often is out of control of the ones making it, whether it is a written piece, podcast or whatever. They may have thought about this and tried, but for different reasons not succeeded in getting men “out in the open”. Men are probably hiding to a greater extent. So you have the factors of ratio and hiding often making the picture a little skewed.

We do know that there obviously are good representatives of men out there. So for the future, I hope that the ones making different things are aware of this and try to balance this in the best possible way. Just think we have some work to do on the myths of “only women disease”, “good-girl syndrome”, or whatever goes around. ME could and does impact anybody, and that is an important message. So guys, we have to step it up! But this is delicate. Can only speak for myself, but think many of us are past the state of being ashamed of ME and trying to silencing everything about it.

Simbindi, MEMarge, Amw66 and 4 others like this.
  17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

18. Andy

Andy Committee Member

19. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm very sorry to hear your news, @Gary Burgess. I hope the treatment goes as well as possible, and that you are soon back to posting your ME news.

Wishing you all the strength you need.