1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The key to demystifying long COVID-19 could come from studying another chronic condition : Article: Chicago Tribune: Leonard Jason

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, Sep 13, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.chicagotribune.com/opin...0220912-42gktniwobbcbblcbs56l6r7zu-story.html

2. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you to the authors for this.

But a point about hair loss.

The article says those with ME do not experience hair loss, but those with Long Covid do.

Early on with ME, I had hair loss.

This post has been copied and following discussion moved to Hair loss

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2023
  3. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Those with COVID-19 have been exposed to the coronavirus, whereas those with ME/CFS have a variety of triggers, including the virus that causes mononucleosis."

This borders on fallacy. It implies a direct equivalence between a statistically significant population level correlation ( COVID 19 exposure followed by prolonged sequalae ) and a mass of statistically unentangleable patient reports which solely on the basis of implied correlation are described as "triggers".

The enthusiasm here to link A to B is understandable - equivalence of esteem between areas of research, appropriate funding, avoiding reinventing the wheel etc all apply. But ME/CFS research needs intellectual rigour and whatever the patient experience of x following y, correlation isn't necessarily causation and investigation is always needed to ascertain whether x and y are causally related.

We currently have no clear evidence that any given prior infection is a 'trigger' for anything in the disease process of ME/CFS and while prior infection is a reasonable basis for hypothesis formation regarding the development of disease in PwME, talking with certainty as though there is even such a thing as a trigger, let alone that there are known triggers is misleading, and worse accepting such certainty serves to curtail scientific rigour. We don't need yet another false orthodoxy to misdirect ME/CFS research.

sebaaa, MeSci, NelliePledge and 4 others like this.