1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The IAPT Pathway for People with Long-term Physical Health Conditions and MUS. Full implementation guidance.

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Esther12, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From your quote, @Trish

Does it not occur to any of these people that not every patient is anxious and they are barking up the wrong tree? And in the situation that a patient with physical symptoms is anxious it is much more likely that the physical symptoms came first. I get the impression that cause and effect have been perverted to such an extent that some "researchers" think which came first is totally irrelevant.

Woolie, Sean, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I thought the following quote from the blog SlySaint posted about was worth highlighting. It mentions a recent paper suggesting even the 'supportive' CBT for depression as a consequence of conditions such as advanced cancer is not cost-effective.

"It is worrying that Everitt et al (2019) opine:

‘Offering both web-CBT and telephone-CBT in NHS services such as Improving Access to Psychological Therapy could allow many patients to gain substantial benefits with web-CBT with minimal therapist input while allowing a step-up approach to telephone-CBT for those needing additional
    support’

IAPT will surely jump on this to justify empire building and likely ignore the caution of Serfaty et al (2019)

‘our results suggest that resources for a relatively costly therapy such as IAPT-delivered CBT should not be considered as a first-line treatment for depression in advanced cancer. Indeed, these findings raise important questions about the need to further evaluate the use of IAPT for people with comorbid severe illness’

If as seems likely Clinical Commisioning Groups fund IAPT’s expansion into LTCs they should be asked to justify this expenditure in the abscence of any empirical base." ​

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Woolie, Sean, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. rvallee

Those are all aspirational and do not describe real things, just things they wish they were able to do. It reads like a comedy sketch on pseudoscience-based medicine.

Sean, Cheshire and Trish like this.
  5. Arnie Pye

Off Topic : I've seen this mixing up of lower and upper case letters on phrases being used a lot in the last year or so in all sorts of circumstances. Can anyone tell me why and what it is supposed to signify?

Trish likes this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

And preferably stop doing it. It's hard to read and exhausting!

RuthT and Arnie Pye like this.
  7. Arnie Pye

I agree! :)

8. rvallee

I don't know exactly how it started but it's from a Spongebob Squarepants meme where you mock what someone said, in general terms, because it's stupid. Can repeat exactly or loosely paraphrase the thing.

[​IMG]

9. Arnie Pye

Thanks for the explanation, @rvallee :)

Trish likes this.
  10. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

… and there was I, thinking it was a new mnemonic from King's.

Arnie Pye likes this.
  11. rvallee

wdb, Sly Saint, Gecko and 3 others like this.
  12. Arnie Pye

Those answers to the survey ...

[​IMG]

are absolutely shocking. And tax payers are paying for this utterly useless service. :(

Keela Too, Gecko, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  13. rvallee

Oh, but it's just for the low, low price of over £3B. Almost a bargain for no benefits at all.

The beauty is that the system will now feed itself, if we're to believe the 2/3 of employees who are experiencing distress as a result of their work. They will need IAPT services themselves, creating a self-perpetuating loop of therapists becoming users themselves, then back to therapist role and on and on. By the end the only users of the service will be IAPT therapists themselves taking turns doing both roles, like someone playing chess against themselves.

Some of those responses could have been written specifically about PACE. Total surprise that the thing that failed every small test is also failing every one of its much bigger tests. Nobody could have predicted that. Other than those who did...

Amw66, chrisb, Gecko and 1 other person like this.