1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The fragile process of Homecoming - Young women in recovery from severe ME/CFS, 2022, Krabbe et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I agree, I found that too. I think the 'researchers' have abused the trust of the participants by wanting to fit their stories into a preconceived idea that recovery is about personal growth, positive thinking and success, and that the corrollary to that is that those who haven't had the good fortune to recover are in some way incomplete, or unsuccessful, rather than unlucky and/or victims of inappropriate treatment.

I also think they have missed the key point that is buried in their story. Recovery in ME/CFS occurs by chance and luck, and also requires the person to be taught and understand the need for pacing and rest, and to be supported in getting sufficient rest.

The fact that the participants whose stories are told were not given appropriate advice and support from the start about pacing is a failing of the medical system. Far from being a process of personal growth and discovery, as it's painted here, learning to listen to the body and pace activities is a practical management strategy which should be taught and supported from the start.

People diagnosed with ME/CFS don't need positive thinking and inspirational stories of recovery, they need practical activity management advice, symptomatic treatments where possible, and relevant support.

alktipping, Hutan, oldtimer and 11 others like this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've never understood the cultural baggage associated with 'Homecoming'. Once I left school I was never going back.

FMMM1, alktipping, Sean and 4 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Uh, wat now? No. I don't even know what that means. There are many ways to make sense of our experiences without storytelling and most storytelling is not about making sense of our experiences but to tell stories, usually as a job or simply to entertain. Frankly this reads like someone who thinks that life in their immediate environment and from their own perspective is the same as everywhere.

This is all waffle and no syrup. I don't understand the idea of paying people to produce nonsense like this, this is even less useful than the wasteful tchotchkes that end up at flea markets.

FMMM1, alktipping, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  4. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

The fundamental thing that helped me to make sense of my experience was to realise how dysfunctional medecine is, and try to get my head around it.

alktipping, Hutan, Arnie Pye and 9 others like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I have learned to be wary of anything that uses the 'narrative' concept as explanation or method.

alktipping, Hutan, Cheshire and 3 others like this.
  6. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another thought. "Target" any female politician who is a decision maker e.g. if it's a (female) government minister/junior minister/prime minister funding this, via their department, then highlight the Norwegian study showing age onset and gender - there are two onset peaks - puberty/teenage women and a later peak 40 ish women (?) Some women politicians may recall a school (female) friend who disappeared off the radar due to poor health --- or they may be mothers with children around that age.
    So possible ways in to challenge this.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2022
    alktipping, RedFox and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

What transparency of analysis? The authors took the one or two hour interviews of 13 young women and then chatted about them amongst themselves, applying their prejudices and beliefs to what they had heard as they did so. They then concocted two narratives which illustrated the ideas they felt needed to be presented.

There is no transparency. There is no analysis, not in any scientific sense.

This is not science, this is belief confirmation and, as others have said, it is propaganda.

rvallee, Lilas, EzzieD and 14 others like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hey there was that other study that touted in their exercise program the fact that it doesn't require expensive equipment as a strength. Even though one of the two arms required access to a pool.

It's not like basic facts and coherence matter in EBM. The process is simply to say that it's good or that it works and since anything passes, they can now cite themselves self-referentially.

Yeah seriously who the hell thought this system was going to work out well? Sure, let's just have people judge on evidence in a multi-step process where every step requires arbitrary judgment and ends up in a details-laundering process where all depth and substance are removed. Surely that's just as good as actual science and empirical evidence, said no one who thought about this.

Frankly, I am coming to the conclusion that this wasn't really built to give scientific answers, it was built to give answers the people who built this wanted. And it kept going precisely because it gave those answers everyone desired. The whole evidence-based medicine paradigm needs to end, it's a blight on humanity at this point, it is quite literally a civilizational threat when it starts getting in the way of dealing with issues like pandemics.

EzzieD, alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.