1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Effects of Messaging on Long COVID Expectations: An Online Experiment, 2022, Mills et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Kalliope, Jan 23, 2022.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2022
    Hutan, MEMarge, Sean and 13 others like this.
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That study is about as useful as someone finding that water is wet.

FMMM1, Lilas, Arnie Pye and 16 others like this.
  3. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    Lilas, bobbler, Hutan and 18 others like this.
  4. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Clutching the psychosomatic explanation like a magical charm that they believe will protect society. But it won't. It will do the opposite and leave it vulnerable and delay help.

V.R.T., bobbler, Hutan and 16 others like this.
  5. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That sentence comes across as utterly moronic! Like examining whether telling patients that their bodies will spontaneously explode in 10 days time will foster different expectations from if they are told they will start sh*tting diamonds 10 days from now. Mind bogglingly dumb.

bobbler, rainy, EzzieD and 9 others like this.
  6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, Keela Too, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  7. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the paper linked in post #1115 :

They might as well have said :

The views expressed are those of the author(s) and not necessarily those of the NIHR, UKHSA or the Department of Health and Social Care but we all know they will be once those organisation find out if they save money and allow them to throw people under the bus to starve and die.

ukxmrv, bobbler, Nightsong and 11 others like this.
  8. Art Vandelay

Michelle, Hutan, Nightsong and 16 others like this.
  9. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A while ago now, there was a paper done on CFS which involved healthy people having brains scans while imagining being fatigued. Or something like that. It was so jargon laden it was difficult to understand except that imagining you had something like a patient said they experienced was meant to be a scientific way of examining a disease.

It is ironic when a study is done using subjects who imagine what it would be like to be a patient when the researchers involved have never bothered to do it or use any empathy at all.

Hutan, Sean, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This looks less like research and more like manufacturing consent, propaganda straight from a government authority.

V.R.T., Hutan, John Mac and 11 others like this.
  11. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was thinking that on another thread. I wonder is the Nudge Unit subject to FOI?

It might be interesting to find how they are attempting to influence public perception on ME and also on Long Covid.

bobbler, Wits_End, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Trial By Error: Does “Long Covid” Need Rebranding As “Ongoing Covid-19 Recovery”?

"Now here’s a paper called “The Effects of Messaging on Expectations and Understanding of Long COVID: An Online Randomised Trial,” from researchers at the UK’s Health Security Agency. Two of the nine authors, including the senior author who conceived the study, are also affiliated with a National Institute for Health Research unit that partners with a King’s College London team led by Professor Sir Simon Wessely.

This paper is a pre-print, posted before peer review—so we have no idea what will happen once it undergoes more scrutiny. But the research appears designed to reinforce the notion that psychological and emotional responses to public discussion and framing of post-Covid-19 symptoms could account for much of what patients report about their own condition."

https://www.virology.ws/2022/01/26/...need-rebranding-as-ongoing-covid-19-recovery/

14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Merged thread - paper now published

Abstract

Objective: We examined whether varying information about long COVID would affect expectations about the illness.

Method:
    In October 2021, we conducted a 2 (Illness Description: long COVID vs. ongoing COVID-19 recovery) × 2 (Symptom Uncertainty: uncertainty emphasized vs. not emphasized) × 2 (Efficacy of Support: enhanced vs. basic support) between-subjects randomized online experimental study. Participants (N = 1,110) were presented with a scenario describing a positive COVID-19 test result, followed by one of eight scenarios describing a long COVID diagnosis and then completed outcome measures of illness expectations including: symptom severity, symptom duration, quality of life, personal control, treatment control, and illness coherence.

Results:
    We ran a series of 2 × 2 × 2 ANOVAs on the outcome variables. We found a main effect of illness description: individuals reported longer symptom duration and less illness coherence when the illness was described as long COVID (compared to ongoing COVID-19 recovery). There was a main effect of symptom uncertainty: when uncertainty was emphasized, participants reported longer expected symptom duration (p < .001), less treatment control (p = .031), and less illness coherence (p < .001) than when uncertainty was not emphasized. There was a main effect of efficacy of support: participants reported higher personal control (p = .004) and higher treatment control (p = .037) when support was enhanced (compared to basic support).

Conclusions:
    Communications around long COVID should avoid emphasizing symptom uncertainty and aim to provide people with access to additional support and information on how they can facilitate their recovery.

Open access, https://psycnet.apa.org/fulltext/2023-01185-001.html

Hutan, oldtimer, Esther12 and 3 others like this.
  15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"Also, the label given to symptoms can influence perceived symptom severity and participants’ expected well-being (Copp et al., 2017; Petrie et al., 2018). Furthermore, labeling a new syndrome (such as long COVID) could increase illness identity (the degree to which a chronic illness becomes part of one’s identity), which may in turn reduce quality of life (Moss-Morris et al., 1996)."

That last reference is to Moss-Morris, R., Petrie, K. J., & Weinman, J. (1996). Functioning in chronic fatigue syndrome: Do illness perceptions play a regulatory role?British Journal of Health Psychology, 1(1), 15–25. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8287.1996.tb00488.x

Hutan, Cheshire, oldtimer and 4 others like this.
  16. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've had this affect me. I've described serious and severe symptoms to a doctor and they downplay and trivialise what I've said when they bother recording anything in my medical records.

Ariel, Cheshire, oldtimer and 9 others like this.
  17. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I keep hearing about how psychology is better nowadays than the rowdy era of the Stanford prison experiment and all the other stuff. And yet.

Just tell the damn truth. That uncertainty is a direct product of systemic failure, it's all your responsibility and obviously lying more is not going to improve problems caused by decades of lying, obfuscation and denial of reality. This is just pseudoscience.

Ariel, Hutan, Sean and 5 others like this.
  18. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wondered who would think that this was a piece of research that could support the claims made, and then saw that most of the authors were from the Behavioural Science and Insights Unit.

A decade ago I'd have thought that this would be a valuable example of how bad things can be. I've since seen that none of those examples have been of value!

alktipping, Ariel, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  19. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The participants were chosen to not have any personal experience that might influence their managed imaginings ("We excluded those that had a positive COVID-19 test result to avoid results being influenced by participants’ prior personal experiences of COVID-19 or long COVID")

When these participants then said what the authors wanted, they'd probably done good imagining. When they didn't, maybe that was because they had trouble doing good imagining?

Hutan, Snow Leopard, Sean and 4 others like this.
  20. Art Vandelay

alktipping, Hutan, Lilas and 7 others like this.