1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

BPS attempts at psychologizing Long Covid

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by rvallee, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

cfsandmore, Mithriel, ukxmrv and 7 others like this.
  2. Sean

This.

Amw66, oldtimer, EzzieD and 10 others like this.
  3. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Someone on reddit has posted an English translation of an appalling interview with a "leading doctor for Long Covid" in Germany:

oldtimer, Hutan, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  4. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Of course it occurs to nobody that a reason many people presenting may have prior psych diagnoses is because this is what doctors tend to give out when they don't know what's wrong, and in most medical systems I am aware of most people will go via a GP to get to a 'leading doctor for long covid' picking up these psych diagnoses on the way, even if previously in perfect health, and never having seen a doctor before in their lives.

Nope, nobody in medicine is capable of thinking this, of understanding how their own systems actually work in reality.

Midnattsol, oldtimer, Hutan and 13 others like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Yes. Another thing that doesn't seem to occur to many is that the reason that this is true:
    is that many, actually most, people recover from their post-infection syndrome regardless of what they do or don't do. The fact that someone recovers after entrusting themselves to a psychologist or coach is not proof that their illness was psychosomatic.

6. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Weird article about Long Covid yesterday in Norwegian TV2.

The "case" is a woman who tested positive for Covid just two weeks ago and is feeling reduced, but now out skiing. So not a very good example for the subject of the article..

Then a Danish senior doctor says they see Long Covid more often in women, and that most of the patients they now see with Long Covid weren't hospitalised during the infection so had milder infections. 74% were previously perfectly healthy.

It is speculated whether or not different immune systems in men and women can explain why more women are getting Long Covid, but the senior doctor also wonders if a different "health seeking behaviour" in men may be the reason for them having a higher threshold for reporting symptoms.

Signe Flottorp from The Norwegian Institute for Public Health on the other hand says there's reason to believe that Omicron will lead to less Long Covid, as it's milder. So seems she still believe Long Covid appears mainly in those who are hospitalised..

Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre also gives a comment concerning long term effects of Covid-19:
    - It's important that prepare ourselves and deal with it. We have what's called "long covid" which is a physiological illness, fatigue, that one doesn't recover and the psychological effects of that.

I don't really understand what the Prime Minister is trying to say here, and it doesn't help to know he wrote a heart warming introduction to LP coach Live Landmarks book where she tells her story of recovering from ME with LP. Signe Flottorp is also an eager fan of LP. It seems we're heading straight in to a BPS approach to Long Covid in this country :(

TV2 Nye tall viser klar long covid-tendens: - Ville vært litt krise for meg
    google translation: New numbers show a clear long covid trend: - Would have been quite a crisis for me

mango, rainy, Trish and 9 others like this.
  7. Charles B.

Charles B. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This stops short of wholeheartedly endorsing PACE and the edifice undergirding it, but to those engrossed in this discourse, the rhetoric is all too familiar.

For context, this is Adam Gaffney’s wife recycling the same hackneyed tropes used to denigrate and vilify ME patients for decades. The small group of irascible activists (never patients irreparably harmed by GET) leading impressionable rustics astray with their anti-psychiatry bigotry. If one closes their eyes, they can replace Shure with Sharpe, Wessely, Vogt, etc.

I realize that friends in the UK may not be as familiar with Gaffney and Shure, but they’re meticulously cultivating positions as public intellectuals through the sedulous psychologizing of Long Covid. I’m always reticent about platforming these denialist missives further, but I wanted to ensure that everyone here is aware of these figures and their fervent ideological commitments.

Attached Files:

8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's amazing how most reporting somehow manages to advance a fringe activist cause. Truly amazing. Especially since it doesn't, denialist voices are still dominant. But let's not let facts get in the way of a good circular reasoning.

Mithriel and alktipping like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

10. Wonko

...all whilst most of medicine says it doesn't exist, as a thing, as opposed to a cultural delusion.

I wonder at which point medicine will change it's mind - 50% off work, 75%?

shak8, alktipping, EzzieD and 2 others like this.
  11. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"We carried out stakeholder involvement in the form of discussions with GPs....We did not carry out patient and public involvement"

Primary outcome measures: Expected symptom severity...Expected symptom duration...Expected personal control....Expected treatment control...Expected illness coherence...Expected QOL...".

"We found that changing the way in which Long COVID symptoms and the support available were described affected negative expectations of illness outcomes. Our findings are in line with the extant literature regarding illness uncertainty and health outcomes, as illness uncertainty is associated with increased symptom severity, lack of personal control, decline in mental health, and diminished quality of life, amongst other outcomes in those living with a chronic condition (10). The study also provides support for the Common-Sense Model of Self-Regulation which posits that illness description and symptoms help to shape illness perceptions (7)."

They seem to have made a huge leap from "telling people to expect bad things makes people expect bad things" to "expecting bad things leads to negative outcomes".

Michelle, oldtimer, ukxmrv and 6 others like this.
  12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

13. Sean

14. Haveyoutriedyoga

oldtimer and Arnie Pye like this.
  15. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I assumed so. If doctors think they can fix everything with anti-depressants then they wouldn't see a need to have anyone investigated properly for issues caused by Covid.

oldtimer and alktipping like this.
  16. Haveyoutriedyoga

I expect clinics ready accept people who score as depressed but I know that GPs will assume depression or anxiety and not even refer the patient in the first place.

When I went in for a trapped nerve in my foot I got screened for depression and was told it would go away on its own (it didn't, had surgery).

When I started coming down with ME I got told I had anxiety and that if I couldn't lift weights anymore then a walk should be good enough.

17. lycaena

lycaena Senior Member (Voting Rights)

UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL ESSEN
    Professor of medicine: I don't share the panic about Long Covid
    https://www.waz.de/staedte/essen/me...k-gemacht-id234479215.html#Echobox=1643954140
    automatic translation with deepl

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
    oldtimer, Trish, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  18. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A clear case of a beam in one's own eye.
    Only 10% of patients are deluded enough to think they are still ill after a year.
    But 100% of rehabilitationists are deluded enough to think they can take the credit for this.

19. Wonko

He really doesn't like, well, patients, it seems.

Or mathematics.

If 20 percent had a prior psych diagnosis that means 80 percent did not, so how can that 20 percent, even if valid, be used as an explanation for 100 percent.

20. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Or logic.

It gets very hard to use the prevalence of psych diagnoses as suggesting something about the 100% when you realise that probably 20% of the entire adult population of Germany have a prior psych diagnosis these days.

e.g. for depression alone

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022