1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The effect of a person-centred and strength-based health intervention on recovery among people with chronic illness", 2018, Heggdal et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Kalliope, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The effect of a person-centred and strength-based health intervention on recovery among people with chronic illness

Am not able to read this study today, but browsed it, and when I found this, decided to post it here in case someone here can and will go through this more thoroughly.

Beyond the medical, interventions to facilitate personal and life recovery in chronic illness are scarce and are for the most part designed for patients with mental health problems. For instance, the Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP) seeks to identify and utilize patient resources to facilitate recovery and the Illness Management and Recovery intervention (IMR) aims to help users to mitigate vulnerabilities and stressors by building social support, using medication effectively and developing a relapse prevention plan [3,11,12]. These interventions resemble the services commonly offered at Community Mental Health Centres (CMHC) in Norway [13]. Interventions to facilitate personal recovery in chronic somatic illness are often disease-specific; these include Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Graded Exercise Therapy (GET) and Adaptive Pacing Therapy (APT), which focus on recovery from chronic fatigue syndrome [14].

The study was enthusiastically presented this month in a journal for nurses as good news, for now patients will chronic illnesses will get a new treatment offer. Based on "body-knowledging".

Sykepleien: Kronisk syke kan få det bedre med nytt helsetilbud
    google translate: Chronically ill can get better with new health care

2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seemed there was no control group... stopped reading.

That article promoting it was a bit worrying.

3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So they have gathered a group of people with different chronic illnesses, presented them with the concept of "body-knowleding" - whatever that is - and interpreted that some of them felt better after a while to the intervention. :confused:

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

They do like their jargon:
    When in fact all it seems to be is a exercises and a bit of diary keeping and chat.

5. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I majored in psychology in university, and took a lot of sociology courses too - in part because essays didn't require a lot of research, and I could just make shit like this up.

6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Round and round the buzzword bush we go.

rvallee, Kalliope, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

So what’s the difference between body knowledging and the U.K. CFS/ME clinics “Management programmes”. None - sounds exactly like what I did in 2016. PACE-lite.

Wonko, Trish and Invisible Woman like this.