1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The economic burden of CFS/ME: an initial summary of the existing evidence and recommendations for further research (Brenna & Gitto, 2017)

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Free full text at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/320111650_The_economic_burden_of_chronic_fatigue_myalgic

2. Dolphin

Although the authors themselves may not have strong views, this mentions a lot of nonpharmacological interventions studies (e.g. on CBT) and claims they showed benefit in terms of QALYs. These are self-report measures and there is no mention that there could be problems with them.

3. Dolphin

I have no idea whether "person-centred healthcare" is interesting or not or what it might mean in practice. They don't give any other information on it I think.

4. Dolphin

I don't think this is a good fit for "PsychoSocial ME/CFS Research" but then I didn't seem to fit in "BioMedical ME/CFS Research" either. I think there needs to be another category for research or else they are all collapsed into one, which would be my preference.

Esther12 likes this.
  5. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I'd like to see the evidence for this. We are often accused of wasting doctors' time, when the reality may well be that many of us are in hiding from the health service and engage as little as possible.

When I read the thread title I actually thought it might be a sympathetic paper on the economic burden to sufferers and their families, but no, it's about the cost to society, productivity, and the cost of our assumed higher healthcare utilization.

How unpleasant.

6. Dolphin

It talks about all sorts of economic burdens.

If we are to get public health systems to pay for treatments such as expensive drugs, it is useful to be able to argue there is an economic case for it.

7. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I appreciate that. I was just a little crestfallen and needed to talk about it.

8. Effi

Effi Established Member (Voting Rights)

The "economic burden" argument is something that pops up in BPS research a lot. That is how they love to describe us, a huge burden on society, and the solution is, of course, "getting them active again". Problem solved. (Not saying these researchers are BPS, but this theme makes me suspect that there might be a link there.)

I think this could be an interesting point of view when making a case for funding.

9. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Defective economic unit 36436/2353 (aka Luther Blissett) is no longer working 'efficiently'. The unit would require excessive 'costs' to be repaired by 'society'. Would you like to delete Y/N?

Yuck.

Indigophoton, Trish, TiredSam and 2 others like this.
  10. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There there ?