1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Deformability of Red Blood Cells in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) - Thesis, Brendan Robert Schmidt, 2019

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Sly Saint, Feb 10, 2020.

1. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

DHA is needed for brain health, and EPA can result in lower inflammation. Both long chain omega-3s.

2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I take 600 mg EPA and 300 mg DHA. I think that was what the chemist/consultant recommended for me years ago based on my test results.

3. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What would you call "natural vitamin E", i.e. what would be on the label? A quick google comes up with two types of products with some containing only alpha tocopherol and others containing a mix of tocopherols (both seem to come in "natural" and synthetic versions). But both were easy to find so I guess they're not what you're looking for?

4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am talking local pharmacies and health food shops, including big chains. The natural products in Australia are often different from other countries, we have many of our own manufacturers, but I guess its more because for some reason people think alpha tocopherol is OK, and its cheaper. Its not OK. Mixed tocopherols are much, much better in terms of potency, and absorption issues, but they do cost a tiny bit more. There are other forms out there now I have not ever investigated, but synthetic alpha tocopherol is so ineffective that it can actually lower vitamin E activity in the body. It does this by competing with absorption of natural vitamin E. Its effectiveness is much lower than the other forms of vitamin E, its the least effective form. Its also probably the form they add to many products to decrease oxidation, such as food oils.

I would have to look up which vitamin E is most effective. There is a ranking but I have forgotten it.

Ravn likes this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

From Snow Leopard's post, quoting the Squeezing for Life article:
    Maybe this can explain why our ability to function can sometimes increase when it really has to? The adrenalin released increases RBC deformability, so there is more oxygen delivery to tissues.

borko2100, Kitty, Wonko and 5 others like this.
  6. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That would tally with my experience. I also suspect that we clear adrenalin slowly, meaning the period of feeling “dangerously okay” is extended.

(A friend & I described the period after an event as “dangerously okay”, because we feel okay, but if we continue to do stuff we will make PEM much worse & perhaps induce a relapse or permanent worsening. It is very hard to stop and rest when feeling okay!)

PS Might adrenalin also explain the wired/tired experience?

Kitty, Wonko, Mithriel and 9 others like this.
  7. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The wired/tired experience definitely associates with adrenalin for me, both when I have lived on adrenaline to do something pleasurable and when I am worried and anxious about something.

A healthy person can work off the adrenaline by going for a walk of cleaning a cupboard but we are stuck.

Simbindi, cfsandmore, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  8. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This explains adrenal surges in M.E

"Adrenaline is often referred to as the 'fight or flight' hormone as it kicks into action in situations of potential danger. However, adrenaline also kicks in when the body is in physiological difficulty, which is very often what is happening to severe M.E. sufferers. Adrenaline surges make the heart pump faster and raise the blood pressure, forcing blood around the body with greater force to supply the muscles with more oxygen, so that they can make a greater effort. Surges of adrenaline increase the metabolism. They also relax and dilate the airways so that more oxygen than usual can be taken in. Adrenaline surges can also decrease the amount of pain felt. As a result of all of these factors, adrenaline surges - while they last - have the ability to increase physical speed, strength and other physical abilities."

"Once a patient gets going, stopping can be very difficult. This is due to neurological problems with stopping and starting new tasks easily, and also because once an adrenaline surge has occurred, it takes a long time to wear off. "

cfsandmore, Kitty, Aroa and 2 others like this.
  9. darrellpf

darrellpf Established Member (Voting Rights)

Many years ago I had an allergic reaction to a wasp sting that resulted in a trip to the emergency room. It was severe enough that I had hives all the way down my back. I was given IV antihistamines and adrenaline.

When I left the ER I walked home for 40 minutes. The next day or so was the best I've felt in years.

I've also said there was a long period where the only way I could get anything done was to get angry. If the simmering anger was sustained then work was pretty easy.

My go-to remedy for years has been to get moving, by getting up and going for a walk.

oldtimer and Wonko like this.
  10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That's interesting @darrellpf. You didn't say whether you had PEM after the adrenaline wore off as a result of the extra activity.

oldtimer and Wonko like this.
  11. borko2100

borko2100 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's an interesting theory. Personally I find adrenaline release to be beneficial to me. Not just immediately when it occurs but for several hours after too.

Hutan likes this.
  12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

A downside of what I assume may be too much adrenaline is, for me, the tired but wired inability to sleep.