1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The COVID-19 Stress and Health Study (UK)

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Sly Saint, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How is COVID-19 affecting you?
    Exploring the emotional and physical impact of COVID-19 on adults living in the United Kingdom.
    there is a short video which explains about the study; I've not been able to watch it so can't comment.

https://www.covidstressstudy.co.uk/

https://www.covidstressstudy.co.uk/contact

MEMarge, Joh, DokaGirl and 5 others like this.
  2. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My god they've started already

MEMarge, Joh, Cinders66 and 15 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Chalder? So, not a serious study, then. Sad, this could be useful in competent hands, though that's always doubtful in the land of BPS.

MyFertile UK?
    So, definitely not a serious study. Suspiciously weird, even. Given the numerous roles played by cortisol, I don't understand this obsession with cortisol = stress. It's so obviously unreliable and will only give flawed results.

MEMarge, Sly Saint, Sean and 12 others like this.
  4. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How delicious to be at kings MH unit and get automatic access to streams of funding.

5. Sly Saint

Conspiracy theories, panic buying and scapegoats: What Coronavirus tells us about human behaviour
    Video from the Telegraph

(loved that the narrator introduced SW as "professor Sir Simon Weasley" around 1.18)

His contribution was the usual historical twaddle; also there was a lot of stuff on fight or flight, cortisol etc but Steven Reicher and Bryony Gordon both point out that a lot of it is 'normal human behaviour' in response to extraordinary circumstances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8KJlsVihI4

auto-generated transcript pt1

Invisible Woman and Wonko like this.
  6. Sly Saint

transcript pt 2

Invisible Woman and Wonko like this.
  7. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a lot of respect for Steve Reicher - he is one of the originators of 'participant based research' in social psychology. I met him at a BPS Social Psychology conference as an undergraduate. I would have been happy to have him as my PhD supervisor when I was looking at doing this 20 odd years ago, but for the fact he was in Edinburgh! At the time I was studying my MSc in Psychological Research Methods at Exeter University they wanted him to become their head of the Psychology department but there was no way he was going to leave St Andrews. They did manege to get his (young at the time) mate, Alex Haslam to join the department though, he was a breathe of fresh air in the lecturing staff.

MEMarge likes this.