1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Clinician’s Vaccine Safety Resource Guide 'Do Vaccines Cause Fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)?'

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by MeSci, Nov 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry - not much text here!

Source: The Clinician's Vaccine Safety Resource Guide

In: The Clinician's Vaccine Safety Resource Guide

Springer, Cham, pp 241-244

Date: October 28, 2018

URL: https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-94694-8_35

Do vaccines cause Fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)?
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Matthew Z. Dudley(1), Daniel A. Salmon(2), Neal A. Halsey(3), Walter A. Orenstein(4), Rupali J. Limaye(5), Sean T. O'Leary(6), Saad B. Omer(7)

1 Institute for Vaccine Safety, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, USA

2 Departments of International Health and Health, Behavior and Society, Director, Institute for Vaccine Safety, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, USA

3 Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, and Department of Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Director Emeritus, Institute for Vaccine Safety, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, USA

4 Pediatrics, Global Health, and Epidemiology, Emory University, Associate Director, Emory Vaccine Center, and Center of Excellence for Influenza Research and Surveillance (Emory-UGA CEIRS), and National Foundation for Infectious Diseases (NFID), Atlanta, USA

5 Institute for Vaccine Safety, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, USA

6 Pediatrics-Infectious Diseases, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, USA

7 William H. Foege Professor of Global Health, Epidemiology and Pediatrics, Emory University, Atlanta, USA

Abstract

Vaccines currently routinely recommended to the general population in the U.S. have not been shown to cause fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).

Keywords: Vaccine, Vaccines, Vaccinate, Vaccination, Vaccinations, Immunize, Immunization, Immunizations, United States, Information, Summary, Summaries, Safety, Adverse event, Adverse events, Adverse effect, Adverse effects, Association, Evidence, Causality, Fibromyalgia, Chronic fatigue syndrome, CFS

Inara, MEMarge and CFS_for_19_years like this.
  2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hmmm…..have they been shown to not cause fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome?

MEMarge and Squeezy like this.
  3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are there any figures on the numbers or percentage of people with ME or with Fibromyalgia whose onset dates back to a vaccination?

A correlation does not give clear evidence for causality, but it is very suggestive of issues that need further investigation.

Sarah94 and Squeezy like this.
  4. Eagles

Eagles Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My ME was started by Hepatitis B vaccines which I was required to have as a student nurse. In my case it was very clear cut that it was the vaccines. I have heard of a lot of people whose illness is linked with vaccines - the ones I hear about the most are Hepatitis B and flu vaccines. Also, it is known that vaccines can potentially cause a relapse in those that already have ME. I believe that Dr Shepherd at the MEA has an interest in cases of ME started by vaccines, and Dr Byron Hyde has also mentioned it e.g. https://www.massmecfs.org/more-reso...byron-hyde-2012-fall-lecture-summary?start=10

5. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it the vaccine itself or the adjuvent that is implicated?

Sarah94 and Inara like this.
  6. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I received Hep B vaccines in 1991. Mine was sudden viral onset and Hep B vaccines soon after.

Dr. Byron Hyde here:
    "In 1990, Dr. Hyde and the staff of the Nightingale Research Foundation advised Health and Welfare Canada, particularly P. Duclos, DVM and the then Assistant Deputy Minister of Health, A.J Liston, of a large number of Canadians who had incurred severe long term central nervous system disabilities after receiving Hepatitis B immunization injuries".

MEMarge, Manganus and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Conclusion

Health and Welfare Canada, under the previous Conservative government, appears not to have informed the Canadian public and Canadian health officials on the hazards of Hepatitis B immunization. The reason is difficult to comprehend: the interests of Merck Frosst and other Quebec pharmaceutical companies were protected. At the same time, the Conservative Government gave Merck Frosst in Montreal 10 million dollars for a capital expansion program. Merck Frosst is one of the wealthiest pharmaceutical companies in the world.

We believe the introduction of Hepatitis B immunization for children in Ontario is unwarranted; it represents a serious risk; and the problems raised in this document should be addressed before potentially endangering the health and lives of Ontario children.

History of Nightingale’s Involvement with Hepatitis B Immunization

(1) May 1990: Dr. Hyde was contacted by Celine Gaudette, a health care worker of Sherbrooke, Quebec. She had fallen seriously ill after Hepatitis B Immunization, and had to leave work sustaining considerable health and economic disability as a result. She felt that some of her symptoms of brain dysfunction were identical with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis /Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (M.E./CFS)

It is not now nor has it ever been the aim of Nightingale to link Hepatitis B immunization with M.E./CFS but rather to link Hepatitis B immunization with diverse disabling injuries of the central and peripheral nervous system that may appear to the inexperienced eye to be M.E./CFS. We believe it is merely coincidental that some of these injuries resemble M.E./CFS in their elements of brain dysfunction.

(2) May 1990: Dr. Hyde immediately telephoned Mr. P. Duclos, a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, (in charge of human adverse immunization reactions for Health and Welfare Canada) concerning this case. He told us that Hepatitis B immunization was very safe and there had been no serious adverse reactions anywhere after millions of doses. Dr. Hyde relayed this information to Ms. Gaudette.

(3) June 1990: Dr. Hyde received a second call from Ms. Gaudette informing him she had located four chronically ill post-Hepatitis B immunization cases with sufficiently severe adverse reactions that they could no longer work. Dr. Hyde again telephoned P. Duclos and was told there was no basis for these complaints. This was again relayed to Ms. Gaudette.

(4) August 1990: Ms. Gaudette telephoned and stated to Dr. Hyde that she now had 10 patients displaying post-hepatitis B immunization chronic disabilities and that some resembled M.E./CFS cases. She stated that two nurses and one physician had separately telephoned Merck Frosst in Montreal and that each had been told that he/she was the only person ever to report a serious adverse reaction to Hepatitis B immunization and that he/she must be mistaken.

Sarah94, MEMarge, ScottTriGuy and 4 others like this.
  8. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for the link, it makes very interesting reading.

It is a shame that the chapter that this thread is about is behind a paywall, as we can not see what evidence purportedly supports their claim that vaccines have not been shown to cause ME and Fibromilagia.

Obviously the onset of a condition linked with a vaccine is not incontrovertible proof that that condition is caused by that vaccine, but it is a reasonable assumption that the two are linked in some way.

Inara, MEMarge and Manganus like this.
  9. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No, there has been insufficient study. But they can trigger autoimmune conditions (rarely), some of which (Guillain–Barré syndrome) cause ME and CFS like symptoms long term in many patients.

MeSci and chrisb like this.
  10. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Then again, think of how bad it would be to get the thing the vaccine is defending you from. There is no 100% safe option. Nature is harsh, there’s only one way out of it.

If there was a screening test to find who was susceptible, then we might be advised to not get vaccinated, and thus some cases of M.E would be avoided. But if too many people don’t get vaccinated (because Nature! or something) we would definitely get hit with the targeted disease.

I got my flu shot last week and now feel exactly as miserable as usual. With some luck I’ll be exactly as bad usual this winter, rather than twice as much with a flu. There was probably some risk in getting the shot, but since I can’t avoid contact with the outside world ( I live in a large apartment building) I figure the flu itself is coming my way.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    Londinium and Andy like this.
  11. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Established Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge and MeSci like this.